X

sanding my gas tank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sanding my gas tank

I'm in the process of sanding my parts to paint my bike. I got to my gas tank and noticed that the clear coat was alot thicker because I just got white and no color. Should I sand until I'm through the white and to color or not.

You don't have to. As long as you scuff the surface and prime, you're fine. However, if you still have the stickers on the tank, they're UNDER the clear coat. You'll have to remove it all in order to get rid of the stickers. Best bet is to use power tools (that's what Lou does). Paint stripper has issues getting through the urethane in the clear.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

Hey, dude, like why would you wanna put sand in your OWN gas tank? Did your other self piss you off and you wanna get revenge, or something totally un-cool like that? Anyway, sugar works better, dude. It like gums up the engine, too, not just the carbs. I mean, if you are TOTALLY pissed off at your self. Right on, bro.

Power to the people, dide. Now where did I put the keys to the micro bus...??

-Trippin' Stevie
      (Stevie B's hippy-dippy alter ego.)
      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

I tool a flapper wheel to mine to get them off.
        I have seem people paint over the stickers I didn't like that look but to each his own.
        sigpic

A Fine is a Tax you pay for doing wrong!
        A Tax is a Fine you pay for doing well!

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/Chuckwick357/

Comment

if you do have stickers, I found the best way to remove them is to take a good sharp exacto knife and cut around the edge of them to break through the clear. Then with a heat gun (a hair dryer will work in a pinch) remove the stickers. I have seen some people use paint stripper, then go at it with a scraper, but this only creates more sanding.

Once the stickers are off, just sand it all smooth. I go 220 on the rough stuff, then 400 to smooth it out. Then 600 for final sanding. If you are just using enamal, 400 will do. 600 if you use basecoat'clearcoat. Some people will tell you to go even finer, but 600 wet will remove the scratches good enough, and allow a better grip for the new paint then using 1000+ grit like some do. There is absolutely no need for primer unless you have bare metal exposed. Just prime the bare metal....not the whole tank. You just create more sanding. Plus primer can be a royal pita if you do not use the correct kind. You can end up painting everything, only to come back later to see if it is dry and have a hell of a mess waiting for you because of a chemical reaction. So make sure if you do prime, you use the right kind that works with the paint you are using.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Thanks mojoe thats pretty much what I needed the stickers are all off and its sanded with 400 paper. I'm just gonna spray my paint now.

Comment

Working...
            X