X

Painting wheels

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting wheels

I was wondering if anybody had any tips on painting there wheels. I'm painting my bike next month and want to do the wheels also. The outside lips have been polished and was wondering what steps I needed to do to paint the polished part.
    Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul!!!
    Drop a knee,drop a gear, just don't drop the bike!!!!!

You can probably just throw some paint stripper on the polished part (as well as the rest of the wheel) and it will take care of everything.

Have you thought about having the wheels powdercoated?

Comment

You should only have to lghtly sand the polished areas with say 400-600 grit sandpaper, then spray them with a primer especially for aluminum, otherwise you will have flaking problems due to poor adhesion.
      I would suggest you have them powdercoated otherwise, less hassle for you, and they take care of the prep and can do about any color you want, plus it will last forever.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

I'd say to research tougher paint . Most people seem to say powdercoat when it comes to wheels . I'm looking into the same thing eventually .....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I think it's probably going to be easier to get a paint that will adhere to lightly sanded powdercoat than to bare aluminum that's mildly oxidized (which happens as soon as oxygen hit aluminum -- in other words air), unless you can find a primer specifically intended for bare aluminum.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i painted right on top of the powdercoated black part of my wheels. scuffed them up with some sandpaper and taped it all off. that took a while. but because of the courseness of the spokes, the paint grabbed real good and you almost couldnt put too much paint. put about three or four coats on mine.

Comment

Yea I did the same with mine last year. The centerpiece has held great. Just not sure ahow the polished part will hold up. Thinking about seeing if I can find some that hasnt been polished and try and trade the polished ones for the unpolished ones. Guess I will try some local salvage yards to see wht they got. Thanks for everybodys input so far!!
              Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul!!!
              Drop a knee,drop a gear, just don't drop the bike!!!!!

Comment

out of the eastwood catalog, i ordered some diamond clear for bare metal. my wheels are clearcoated and never tarnish or stain. i just wash them off like everything else and they are back to new. the wheels are dirty here so they are much shinier when cleaned. i will try and take a pic to show you finished product

Comment

Working...
                X