X

Painting my bike ... question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting my bike ... question

Can anyone tell me how much paint it would take to paint all the fairings, gas tank & rear grab bar?
    -jason

Welcome to Katriders! Click Here to Register

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

That is a really good question..

Sweet lou, do you have the answer?
    I think that the pre 98 would be close to the 98+
    plus minus a can..

Comment

You gonna use rattle cans??? If so, itll take about 2-3 cans of primer, and please wetsand between each coat. Just allow to dry and wetsand it then clean it again then spray again. Long process but well worth it. After about 3-4 coats of primer, 4-5 cans of will easily do 5-6 coats no problem. you can usually get 2 coats out of one can!
      Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

What he said!!!!!
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

if your oging to spray it ( the way it should be done) you need bout a pint and a half to do it, and youll still have some left over now keep in mind i used dupont ChromaBase paint (viper race yellow 03 dodge viper and deluted it) and your gonna need more then that in clear so plan accordingly

Comment

You really don't NEED a spray gun and what not, you can get a very decent finish out of a rattle can. You just need a quality paint, and to take your time.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

I hear paint by the numbers and finger paints work good too...

but yeah, what they said..

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                I hear paint by the numbers and finger paints work good too...

but yeah, what they said..
                -jason

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

well, i was planning on using a paint gun instead of rattle can. that viper race yellow sounds good. where did you get that paint?
                  -jason

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

Get good at it real fast so we can do my bike next !
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

ah well the viper yellow is the exact color i did my bike you can get it from any automotive paint store, you need the dupont paint cod, so go to a local mopar dealership and ask for hte paint code for VIPER RACE YELLOW, that paint isnt cheep i got it for cost for like 29 bux so that was good but you, its gonna be a little bit more but its a nice color, also you may want to look at other colors, aka porsche yellow, monte carlo yellow, corvette yellow known as Milinium (spelling) yellow, um audi yellow is also nice, look around, that viper yellwo is a little dark, i wish it was brighter thats why im prob gonna either go with teh vette yellow or make my own color if i paint it again

Comment

Originally posted by duff daddy
                        ah well the viper yellow is the exact color i did my bike you can get it from any automotive paint store, you need the dupont paint cod, so go to a local mopar dealership and ask for hte paint code for VIPER RACE YELLOW, that paint isnt cheep i got it for cost for like 29 bux so that was good but you, its gonna be a little bit more but its a nice color, also you may want to look at other colors, aka porsche yellow, monte carlo yellow, corvette yellow known as Milinium (spelling) yellow, um audi yellow is also nice, look around, that viper yellwo is a little dark, i wish it was brighter thats why im prob gonna either go with teh vette yellow or make my own color if i paint it again
                        so how did you get it at cost?
                        -jason

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                          Get good at it real fast so we can do my bike next !
                          well, as soon as i do mine we'll work on yours
                          -jason

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

ok another question you guys. i was going to use the yellow from the '05 gsxr's. according to http://www.color-rite.com/ there is a base coat and top coat. now, i've never painted anything in my life. so i need some help here. i can figure out that base coat would go down then top coat over top of that. but what does that mean as far as how much paint i need? duff had said about a pint and a half of paint would do it. does that mean i need a little less than a pint of base and a little less than a pint of top coat? a pint and a half of both? also, how much clear coat would i need and how much primer am i going to need? anyone who has painted a bike and can answer these questions i would greatly appreciate it. i'm not going to rattle can it, going to attempt spraying it. have an air compressor and paint gun so we'll see what happens.

also, i remember a while back on kp there was a post about fixing cracked plastics. there was something that you could buy to fix them, some type of bonding glue or something, but dont remember what it was. if anyone knows what the stuff is and could help me out with that as well.

thanks for all the help.
                            -jason

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

How the base coat stuff works.

Prep your surface as you normally would, then apply your primer. Then you apply your base coat, then you apply the color coat, then you apply the clear coat.

Not sure on the amount needed of each, color right would have that info. Basically, the base coat is there to get the correct shade of color.
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X