Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Oven cleaner or sandblasting to get the paint off my rims?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven cleaner or sandblasting to get the paint off my rims?

I was wondering what would be best,Oven cleaner or sandblasting to get the paint off my rims?I'm takeing my rims to have them polished so i was wondering,Thanks.
    97 TL1000S,K&N filter,Micron exaust cans,Ceramic coated headers (black),Air box mod,+2 Rear sprocket ,Chrome Rims,Metzeler M1 tires,Polished Chain Guard,Heel Guards,Clutch and Brake Levers and Brake arm

Oven Cleaner? Really? I don't know anything about stripping paint but I use oven cleaner all the time and I never seen it remove paint. Dull the finish sure. Remove paint I dont think so.
    '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Originally posted by floxera
      Oven Cleaner? Really? I don't know anything about stripping paint but I use oven cleaner all the time and I never seen it remove paint. Dull the finish sure. Remove paint I dont think so.
      i was thinking the exact same thing but to take the paint out of your rims, get a can of Aircraft Stripper from your local auto store. i got the brush-on(paste) one instead of the aerosol(spray can). (no accidental over spray on some other painted part) but thats just me. since your stripping the whole wheel, you can try aerosol if you want (at your own risk ofcourse) just make sure you put tape on the tires to protect the rubber from the stipper (highly corrosive) and wear gloves,long sleves,face mask and glasses. good luck!
      PAUL
      93 GSXF6 PIX.

"Opinions are like A$$holes, Everybody has one"

Comment

EZ-Off in the yellow can does a FANTASTIC JOB of removing anodizing but I never had it do anything worthwhile to paint.

I use brake fluid to remove paint from polystyrene bodies and it works VERY well, save for the oily residue left behind. It lifts paint off in sheets....
        Matt

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.

Comment

Originally posted by seqx34
          Originally posted by floxera
          i was thinking the exact same thing but to take the paint out of your rims, get a can of Aircraft Stripper from your local auto store. i got the brush-on(paste) one instead of the aerosol(spray can). (no accidental over spray on some other painted part) but thats just me. since your stripping the whole wheel, you can try aerosol if you want (at your own risk ofcourse) just make sure you put tape on the tires to protect the rubber from the stipper (highly corrosive) and wear gloves,long sleves,face mask and glasses. good luck!

+1 on the aircraft stripper. it works awsome. make sure that you leave it sit on there for like 10 minutes, it'll make taking it all off easy. you could even go to the local "do it yourself car wash" the one with the high power washer and spray off the paint after the stripper did its job. makes it easy and you don't have to mess with the scrubbing.
          if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

what about using paint remover?

Corey and I got a paint removing gel from the home depot for not to much, and it worked awsome on the tank.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

so if you can use EZ off on your bike.. can you use paint remover in your oven

Comment

I took some Eco-Lab oven cleaner from work which is at least 20x stronger than ez-off. I tried to remove paint off an old tank. No luck. It damaged the surface of the paint. It gave the finish a foggy glaze, but didn' remove any paint.

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                so if you can use EZ off on your bike.. can you use paint remover in your oven
                just don't smoke a cigarette while you clean the oven otherwise BOOM
                '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

hhhmmm, thats the only place we smoke in our house is over the stove, so the exhaust fan carries the smoke out and keeps it away from the rest of the house!! Now WHat !!!!!!!!

Comment

When my rims were stripped, my buddy used a can of Metal stripper that he bought at Walmart. This stuff peeled the paint completely in a fw minutes.

Be sure to use rubber gloves and do it outside next to a hose for quick rinsing..

Comment

Ok, after alittle digging, i'll update this for ya.

Walmart=Metal stripper and masking tape. Also don't for get the rubber gloves.

First wipe down your rims so that the masking tape will stick (if your doing just your lips. Other wise, be sure to protect bearings.

Second, wipe the metal stripper on with a paint brush.
                      Let stand for about 2-5 minutes. (the can says 15 minutes but, this stuff works a whole lot faster than that)

Then hose off completely so to rinse as well as neutrualize the stripper.

If you are polishing your lips, at this point dry the rims real good and go to town. With my 94, when i pulled the paint off my rims were actually polished underneath. All i had to do was finish them off.

Tape off the rims real good..
                      this is my buddy Dave doin that..

Apply metal stripper and waych her work..

After 5 minutes..

Hose em off real good..

In my case, apply mothers and finsh polishing

Finished project ( took all of 2 hours)

I hope this helps ya out some..

Comment

AWESOME!!! That looks so much better than the stock paint on the wheels. Now to go to walmart to get the stuff!!
                        TDA Racing/Motorsports
                        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                        Who knows what is next?
                        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Like i said, i got lucky. Mine only took minimal polishing. Once i removed the paint they almost shined on their own.

I wasn"t so lucky with my kat rims on my GS500E though.

EDIT NOTE: Be sure that you the stuff that says "Metal Stripper" on it. They have a couple of different ones that say the will strip metal, wood, ect. don't get that one...

Right on the can it says Metal stripper. Anything else and you'll be cussin me..

Comment

Sweet, thanks for the 411, I will get there and post pics later.
                            What about the tires???
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                            Who knows what is next?
                            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

If you look at the pics i have here you'll see that they are taped as well.Just around the side walls.

Just be sure not to throw stripper all over the place. Be deliberate with where you put the stripper and BE SURE TO USE THE RUBBER GLOVES..

Comment

Working...
                              X