X

how do u like my first paint concept?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that is a sweet arse idea!!!!

I really want to see how that turns out, see what it looks like and maybe use it in the future on a paint job!
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Thanks for the compliments.
      Where did you find the template?
      I had to draw mine up myself in illustrator.
      Your paint job will come out the best if you spend 98% of your time on the prep work. I rushed the last section and it kind of shows (the weather was too nice and I wanted to ride). But it definitely passes the 50:50 test.
      A metal flate with a good clear coat and polish will shine quite nicely. Some accent lights will light it up nicely during the night. Also, pinstriping and other reflective tape can make a HUGE difference is done tackfully. I am working on inner/underbody lighting at the moment. I like to be seen at night.
      I like that green glow on the dark background. The contrast is what I think does it. I know that my bike looks 10x better after i did the pin striping and decals.

Comment

cornel i found the tamplate right here in katriders forum. dook a little digging tho. Thanx for the comment sweet lou. Ill be using mostly your guide that you made for rattle canning a bike . ya as for prepping first, ive just begun to figure that out. Ive starting prepping a little peice of fairing for testing and practicing (a peice that black_peter gave me) woo! ive spent three days on it already. im still using the filler primer.... then im going to prime. I cant wait to see what im capable of, so that i can use that skill on the real deal, my bike. I can almost taste it....
        im also visioning some neon lights... lol, placed behind the vent holes in front of the fairing , and in the very lower vent holes in the lowest part of the fairing, so that blue neon light emmits out just of those vent hole... thats a long ways away tho.

oh ya and jax, to answer your question. i have no idea how long it lasts. But it doesnt really matter to me either. Im going to just try it and see how it works out. when the life runs out i dont think ill add another coat, i think that might be too much work. at that point i might just strip the paint and do a whole new design... but it is a great question ill start looking for the answers.
        ~chris

Comment

Good luck and take your time. A rattle can job can turn out great if you do so.
          This is part of my bike looked like when i got it. Apparently it was too much power for the 1st owner.
          Attached Files

Comment

yeah it can't be said enough. take your time on the prep work. sand it until you know it's enough...and then sand it again. it's great that you have a piece to practice on first. i really could have used that. good luck man! i can't wait to see the finished product.

Long Live the D

Comment

hey guys, i can't speak for the duplicolor products, but I have used glow paints on two custom trucks, and the stuff works for about 6 months or so, but thats using "kosmic long glow from house of kolor"...as far as glow time is about 8 hrs on white.
              so many toys, so little time
              92 kat 750, 04 f350psd,cc, 06 Roush stage 2

Comment

Originally posted by nickomi
                hey guys, i can't speak for the duplicolor products, but I have used glow paints on two custom trucks, and the stuff works for about 6 months or so, but thats using "kosmic long glow from house of kolor"...as far as glow time is about 8 hrs on white.
                Ouch that might be hard for some guys to swing repainting there bike around ever 6 months to a year.
                The only subsitute for cubic inches is cubic money

Comment

I read somewhere that glow paint lasts "up to a year" in sunlight, so 6-12 months would be about right.

Hey cornell, did you put a clearcoat on? I want to go with a semigloss clear, but I'm going to have to educate the guy at the paint shop. He said that there isn't one, but DuPonts website says otherwise.
                  "I'm not crazy because I take the right pills."

Comment

Oh, and if anybody has the Pre98 600 template in Illustrator format, would you mind e-mailing it to me?
                    "I'm not crazy because I take the right pills."

Comment

Originally posted by jsalda
                      I read somewhere that glow paint lasts "up to a year" in sunlight, so 6-12 months would be about right.

Hey cornell, did you put a clearcoat on? I want to go with a semigloss clear, but I'm going to have to educate the guy at the paint shop. He said that there isn't one, but DuPonts website says otherwise.
                      Yeah I put several coats of clear on after the color. Then I used a rubbing compound to bring out the shine. (I was told to not use a petroleum wax). I put the graphics on after the polishing, same day.
                      It is quite shiny without waxing, even just after a wash. The metallic paint was a good choice.

Comment

The idea is a good one!Take your time and do it right the first time and ensure that the surface is clean and clear of dirt. Do not use the dupla color clear if you are going to can it. They have a product at the automotive paint store that is can clear but has an activator and hardner in it. All you have to do is pop the bottom and shake like crazy and it all mixes together and you get a finish just like whats on a vehicle. The duplica color clear turns yellow and this stuff runs 20.00 a can. Good luck and let me know if you need anything.

Comment

Very sharp looks nice

Comment

yup

Comment

you guys have some nice work and some nice ideas flowing. I don't know how I missed this thread. I have been tossing around the idea of going white with some pearls, but now you have me thinking way off in another direction. I have a freshly painted tank and body ready to go on my bike, but I also have a complete extra set to play around with.

keep spitting out those ideas, and keep up the good work. I am anxious to see the finished product. :
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

anyone have the "raw" line art template for the pre-98 600?

yeah... i'm lazy and don't wamt to draw it from scratch in illustrator if i don't have to.

o want to play with my paint concept while i'm huunting for new rear fairings, hunting for a centerstand, etc.

TYVM
                                KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

Comment

Working...
                                X