X

Maybe a stupid question on ABS cement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe a stupid question on ABS cement

I know that the process behind ABS cement is to actually "melt" the two peices so that they form a bond. But does ABS cement melt all types of plastic? I'm trying to find a way to appy the cement in a controlled way, say into a crack. I'm looking at either squeeze bottles or plastic syringes.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Hey, I do not fully understand your what your trying to repair, so I will tell you what I did and maybe it will help. I had to reapir a pretty big crack on my side fairing near the turn signal. I repainted my complete bike, I was not too worried about it removing paint, etc. I removed the fairing, applied the cement,to the back side of the fairing, completely over the crack. I then seperated the crack a little so that some of the cement went through the crack. I wiped any residue from the front. I repainted my bike about 4 months ago and have not had the crack open-up. You cant tell it was ever broken. Good Luck!! -Tim
    Demon...Taste like chicken!

Comment

What I did...

I fixed the broken pieces and cracks on my pre 98, and turned an otherwise wasted set of fairings into uncracked, new again pieces. Take scrap ABS, and a soldering iron. It will do just what you guys already mentioned, it will melt and fuse everything back together. Sand and file everything smooth, and you are on your way!
      Screw whales, Save the titties!

Comment

Already done all that. I've already filled a missing chuck and it's fine (aside from my impatience that left little bumps in it). The crack that I have to fix is a peice that actually takes weight. I plastic welded it together and managed to crack it again while putting in back on the bike. So I was wondering about the syringes and bottles because they have the ss tip that will get it right into the crack. I'm also going to use fiberglass mat on the backside for extra support.
        Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
        -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
        -Terence

Comment

Holds wieght?

It took me a few times to get the process right...I found out that if you get both sides of the break completely melted, and it fused back together, it was just like new. I tested a few areas I fixed by trying to break it, and it was all one piece of plastic with no break at all...I am going to get pics up of what I did soon. The only thing I would be worried about is if the abs glue would break again...

What do you mean about "holds wieght?"
          Screw whales, Save the titties!

Comment

put a v groove in the plastic first that will give it more surface for the glue or weld to stick to. doing both sides will make it stronger

Comment

i forgot to say if you weld it you will need some filler rod to fill the groove

Comment

Working...
              X