X

Paint removal using Easy Off! Repost from the lounge forum

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint removal using Easy Off! Repost from the lounge forum

I was in the process of rattle canning my 97 TL1000s plastic with duplicolor acrylic enamel. The red color I chosen was coming in different shades of red even though the part numbers / can were the same. Used 6 X cans and each one had a different shade of red.
    I decided to wet sand the red paint off down to the plastic. This was going to be labor intensive so I googled: Paint Removal From ABS Plastic

This came up: https://www.maxxtraxxusa.com/Paint_R...ard_Bodies.cfm

Well followed the procedures except, I used a 1200 Psi pressure washer to remove the paint (after it dissolved), and the Easy-Off actually works without damaging the plastic. Had to do it two times and the last of the paint that didnt come off, I wet sanded off the rest.

For those of us who have messed up painting their ABS PLastic, you might want to give Mr. Easy-Off a try at your paint. It works well, but try a small area first and test.

Now that I've Easy-Off'd and wet sanded (400 Grit) the old paint off the ABS, I'm going to try Krylon Fusion Satin Black and add some type of Duplicolor reflective paint to the ABS (Still brain storming about the relective paint).

I hope this helps and may save a few $$$
    Riding the twisties of 9,11,28,178,215 of Western North & South Carolina.

Easy off.... Hmmmmm... I may have to experiment with that. I was just going to blast my plastics, but this may work too.....
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

very good information. thanks

Comment

lemme know if you use the reflective stuff. I used the fusion stuff and this is how it came out for me.

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

double stuffed. sry

Comment

Krylon Fusion, How many coats?

Sprayed 1 x coat of Fusion Satin Black yesterday.
            Wet sanded with 600 and will put on another coat today.

That Fusion stuff is very good, wish I'd used it to begin with.

How many coats were on the Black Katana (allblackkat) ?
            Good Looking Bike!

Happy Painting, He He He!

Comment

Let me know about the Easy-Off results?

Howdy Sweet Lou,

Just curious if you tried the Easy-Off.

Thanks,

Comment

i used 3. maybe i shoulda used more????? I dunno first time i painted anything really. Looks good now. But cool thing for me is that I'm happy with spraying it again if I need to. I did all of my bike in about 4hrs time. I'm highlly inexperienced with paint, So I'm really interested in what your bike looks like when you're done... be sure to post some pics.

Comment

I use to date a girl who used Easy Off to clean her bath tub... That's some strange spray!
                  "Knowledge comes from finding the answers, yes, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom. Men who didn’t understand the difference have been the ruin of some of the world’s greatest civilizations." - Lionel Luthor

Comment

2n Coat of Fusion Satin Black

Just applied the 2nd coat of satin black.
                    Ended up using five cans on all the plastic.

Soon as everything has dried I'll post some pics.

Should I apply one more coat of black or clear. I'm not sure if there is a Krylon Fusion Clear.

Thanks,

Comment

I couldn't find a fusion clear.... I mistakenly used a clear laquer and screwed up a part of my rear fairing. Lesson learned.... use same brand stuff.
                      Doh! But the satin finish is pretty decent as is.

Comment

Working...
                      X