X

Molds for Composite work?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molds for Composite work?

Ive had this plan for awhile that If I keep my Katana long enough I was going to attempt to make Carbon Fiber panels for it. So all the farings and fenders and so on would be Carbon fiber. I know I am capable of doing this but I am stuck on how it would be done. Does anyone know how I would make molds of all the parts? Or could I lay the composites up on top of the plastic itself as long as I have a release agent on it? This is where I am stuck at the moment. If anyone could help it would be great thanks.
    Project Katana

1998 Katana 600

Now wait a second son..
    Are you capable or not?

You can make molds out of lots of things..
    You need to learn how composites or
    even fiberglass is done..

Then you will know how to proceed..
    I know a bit about this but you need to read up..

Comment

^^^ I have worked with fiberglass plenty of times and know the process of it. I just dont know how to construct molds. I have read up plenty, I know you can used styrofoam to make molds and cover it with filler to fill the tiny holes in the foam. I also know about the different resins and and different weaves for the composite you are using. I have read up plenty about this. I have also read about carbon fiber that creating a vaccum will make it take form easier and have read how to do this. Also about strength and bends, sanding to make smooth ect. I am not trying to make this rude in anyway but I do belive I Am capable. I just need to know the best process for making a mold for the kat body panles. Expanding foam maybe on the inside to make a nice surface once pulled out?
      Project Katana

1998 Katana 600

Comment

Man thats alot of reading...the only reading I do is the funnies while doing #2

Comment

I would check out this thread if I were you:

It sounds like you have limited expereince with composite layup. Reading about laying up composites is not like doing it. I would plan on doing a lot of smaller practice pieces. Also keep in mind that carbon is alot more of a PITA to work with than glass or arimid.

Comment

Ive been making things out of CF for a long time now. Your best bet, is to make your mold out of the existing pieces(of course) using gelcoat and fiberglass, of course with a release agent.

Also, have you seen the prices for raw CF lateley? I used to be able to get from my supplier for 17.90 a yard. Now its, 75.00 a yard. From what I hear theres a huge CF shortage.

Comment

^^ Yeah I have seen the prices. I just want to get a start on this if I end up doing it. So maybe prices will drop. I doubt it. And thank you tzortn for the thread.
              Project Katana

1998 Katana 600

Comment

Good luck with the layups. Takes lots of oictures if you can to share the process with others.

Comment

Working...
                X