X

Pre '98 Kat fairing repair options...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre '98 Kat fairing repair options...

Hi all! I'm about to do the vacation thing and will be spending at least a couple of days "pimpin" my '94 Kat. One of the things I want ot get off my To-Do list is to repair a hole in the bulge on the left fairing that the PO inflicted. I'm considering two options:

1. Attempt a plastic-weld to cover it then bondo, sand and paint it. This is by far the most time consuming bit should look just like original.

2. Use a hole-saw and cut a nice round hold where the bulge is. Most newer bikes (including Kats) have holes there with the engine covers exposed. Maybe even do the "mesh-mod" to it?!?

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

I've seen some chopped fairings that didn't look bad , but I prefer NOT to do that . I have some donor plastic to fix mine .... someday .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

If you plastic weld well, you shouldn't need the bondo IMHO -- over build the plastic and then sand it back down.

Naturally, I'm not a body-work person, so I have no clue what I'm talking about except what's been relayed to me by people who do this stuff for a living.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

A few years ago I had the same problem and decided to to the cut a hole thing. IMHO it didn't turn out as good as I had pictured in my head. I'm not saying that it can't be made to look good, but mine didn't. Anyways thats just my oponion. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
        X