X

whuts this piece called????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whuts this piece called????

i think i broke sumthing.... i accidently striped the bolts out of the piece under the gas tank , the gas tank bolt onto it on my 99 and i dont know whut that piece is called, it unbolts off so i figured id replace it cause its about done neone know whut its called???

The piece under the gas tank? Did you strip the bolt that actually holds the gas tank down? Could you provide a picture of what you're talking about? The airbox is under the tank. As are the carbs. As is the valve cover. I think we need a little better description of where your problem is.
    -Steve

Comment

tankbracket? (my guess)
      what did you stripe off? if it's the bolts get some new ones if it's the tread get some threadinserts..

Comment

when u lift off the seat u can see 2 bolts over that concect the gas tak to the frame its those 2 bolts that i stripped out....

Comment

y did i type over ....sorry

Comment

Just drill the holes out (there's a nut welded underneath that bracket) and either mount helicoils or threadinserts OR take some longer bolts and nuts and use those OR use a threadcutter and cut new threads.

Comment

I have a '95 and I'm amazed how wimpy the bolts holding the tank on are. (It seems like the screws holding the bracket are larger. I agree with Kwebble However using larger (thicker) screws means the rubber mounts might not work well.
              That screw is equivelent to a 1/2-20 take one to Home Depot (or where-ever) and get one slightly longer then use a nut. If you have a buddy with a welder then cut off the threaded bit you stripped and weld in a new one. (a metric nut would work)
              Helicoils are too pricey for this job (unless you get them for free like me.

Comment

It is simply called the fuel tank bracket (according to Bike Bandit). A new one will run you $40 from them or I suspect Special K might have a used one laying around for much cheaper.

First question is are you sure you stripped the threads completely? If you only cross threaded a bit you should be able to re tap the holes and simply replace the bolts if necessary. Otherwise I would probably retap the nuts with a slightly larger bolt size. I would not want to remove the old nut completely unless I had. It will be a pain in the butt to remove them everytime you have to pull the tank. (of course you could epoxy some new ones to the bottom of the bracket too)
                AMA member # 224227

Comment

it took about 45 min to get it out by the time i got it out all the thread on the lower half of the bolt were gone, it was crazy smooth ....so im thinking a bracket would be the best bet

Comment

PM or E-mail Special K first, his used parts, in good condition are usually around half the price of new ones.
                    AMA member # 224227

Comment

Im surprised they were on that tight to begin with.

Comment

Mine are stripped out as well. I just use a longer bolt and put a nut the other side of the bracket.

Im surprised they were on that tight to begin with.
                        This type of problem ussally occurs from repeated removal and overtightening.
                        '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

I know when I first got mine, they were actually quite loose, but with the tank being so heavy and the sit on top as well..was never a problem.

Comment

its my fault like he said its from removal and overtightening this is about the 4th time ive painted my bike ......

Comment

WOW! fourth time, post some pic's, Get a tap and tap the weld nut and go to the hardware store and get the bolt you need to fit.
                              TDA Racing/Motorsports
                              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                              Who knows what is next?
                              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
                              X