• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black_peter
    That is great work Nighthawk..
    The relocation work on the subframe looks
    very nice!
    I was actually thinking it looks a bit scary to me. While the triangulation of the upper subframe mount looks okay, the way you have it puts all the weight of the subframe and rider on the single tube from the original subframe. Having cut and welded into this area before myself, I know it's not ery heavy gauge and would subspect that longer term under heavy acceleration and braking, that area will be likely to crack at the weld or bend the tube.

Comment

I see where you are coming from Waltari..
      I spent more time looking at the first pic.. the second one didn't load up on my lap top..

Possible solution?
      IMO
      Carry the lower subframe tube all the way to the frame.
      Either to the cross tube where the shock mounts or to the
      large frame section. (I can't see if the subframe is wider
      than the Kat frame or not.)

Then carry the upper subframe tube past the airbox to the main frame.
      This will give you a wider triangle.
      You are welding to firmer ground.
      The lines of the subframe will blend better..

Not ripping..
      Just trying to make you a safer and IMO cleaner design..

Comment

Good stuff. I see a how-to coming in the future!

Comment

it looks better then i thought it would.good job

Comment

That's the whole point of the triangulation; to distribute the force further up the frame rather than solely to the ends of the subframe mounts. Besides, I welded the shizznit out of the main subframe mounts as well as the cross bracing not seen in the pics. Trust me, this thing isn't going anywhere...but thanks for your concern.
            --2002 Triumph Daytona 955i
            --'91 Katana 600/'04 Gixxer 600 Hybrid

Comment

Originally posted by Nighthawk
              That's the whole point of the triangulation; to distribute the force further up the frame rather than solely to the ends of the subframe mounts. Besides, I welded the shizznit out of the main subframe mounts as well as the cross bracing not seen in the pics. Trust me, this thing isn't going anywhere...but thanks for your concern.
              Not trying to be an ass, just trying to make sure your safe. Yes, you have triangulated a few points, but for the photos you've posted, it looks like the loads are concentrated to a few weak points. Like to see a few more images of the extra cross bracing you mentioned.

Comment

You would say that now that I just got all the body work back on
                The braces run from the mounting flange where the top of the battery is to the backside of where the tank mount is on the lower subframe rail...I dunno how much they help but the whole thing feels pretty sturdy
                --2002 Triumph Daytona 955i
                --'91 Katana 600/'04 Gixxer 600 Hybrid

Comment

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                  You would say that now that I just got all the body work back on
                  The braces run from the mounting flange where the top of the battery is to the backside of where the tank mount is on the lower subframe rail...I dunno how much they help but the whole thing feels pretty sturdy
                  I guess I hear what you are saying..
                  My opinion was that by changing the way the seat subframe
                  lined up with the frame it would improve the flow..
                  If you feel it is safe there is little more we can say.
                  A picture is worth a 1000 words but seeing it in person is worth 100,000...

Comment

Working...
                  X