X

paint your header

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint your header

I was wondering if anyone ever painted there header? I know you have to use high temp paint but would it make the bike run hotter?
    2004 katana 750

Why not Powder coat it with high temp powdercoat instead...It is mixed with ceramic to make it tolerant to high temps...
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Yea i tried this when i was repainting the whole bike put 1200 degree paint on it and it melted off! Lotta smoke the first few times i started it up because of it burning off. And around here no one sells high the 1200 degree.
      Life's fast so you have to be faster, ride fast and take risks...

Comment

1200 degrees is amateur. The exhaust can run as hot as 2000 degrees if the mixture is particularly lean.

The real problem is that it is very hard to get paint to adhere to headers. Normally, you have to sand- or bead-blast them to remove any rust, oils, debris, etc., then find a high-temp primer to act as the grab layer, and then a suitably high-temp paint that will resist those kind of temps. Even POR-15's heat paint is only rated to a max of 1400 degrees. Having a richer mix (jetkit) will help keep the temps at the headers down, but the ceramic coating route is really the best route to go...

I had my replacement headers ceramic-coated a while back (I put 750 headers & exhaust on the 600 to give it just a lil bit more breathing room). Came out quite well.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
        X