X

cracks and broken mounting tabs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cracks and broken mounting tabs

Can anyone give me some ideas about fixing cracks in fairing. Will filler primer fill it? JB weld? How do I fix broken mounting tabs? Any information will help, I've never done body work but I'm gonna give it a shot. I want to make sure I'm perpared when I go to start this project. Thanks

There's a book about plastic repair I know of if you're interested ...
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

also try:

I fixed lots of cracks, a large chunk missing from
      that corner area next to the gauges and reattched the lower front tab. (the one below the oil cooler)

Comment

Broken link .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

There, thats better

Comment

How big of cracks are we talking about? If the crack is to big, filler primer would not do because as the plastic flexes, it would break away from the primer. You would have to actually fill it first with body fill. As for the tabs, plastic weld them together. Get a old peice of fairing, and use it as your donor plastic, then melt the plastics together. WaLaa!
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

god you are a hack lou
              PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
              The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

Your just jealous.
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

Just thought I update this.
                  I was doing some work on the farings this weekend and had a chance to evaluate the fiberglass repairs I made. Though the link I posted says to "scuff up" the ABS" the resin still didn't stick too well in some places.
                  I made some adjustments and the last section I repaired worked well. I just repaired a major split this weekend. I need to buy a cheesy digital camera so I can take pics without worrying about getting goo on it.. Anyway.. this was a large crack in the opening on my 95 below the fuel cock.
                  It had a leak at one time and the gas sofened the ABS causing it to curl inward. It also formed a gap at the top of the crack about 3/8 wide.. So the fix:
                  I used a thin (1/8 ) strip of aluminum that I tapped
                  with 8-32's. I used this to force the edges of the crack to align and drilling one hole at a time attached it with the screws. By using a fender washer and ABS glue I got the fairing to soften and got rid of 90% of the curl by letting it sit overnight. Next I sanded the whole back area and cleaned it with Acetone. Then, this is the new part for me, scored the whole area with the tip of my utility knife making parallel lines at least two inches larger on each sideof the crack area in three or four directions (crosshatching) but did not clean it! I then applied ABS cement to the crack and laid one strip offiberglass cloth about 1 inch larger, over the crack. The cloth will bond to the ABS, once this sets, about 10 -15 minutes, I mixed the resin and
                  laid three layers of cloth, each about 1 inch larger then the last and making sure the threads of the cloth go in different directions. Once this set up I was able to remove the screws forcing the fairing to the plate and with a bit of sanding it was pretty smooth. What I learned was that the resin will not bond to sanded ABS well, but will bond very well to the crosshatched ABS. I added one more layer to the front (show) side of the fairing just to be safe.
                  With all the sanding and filing and what not I have done to the fairng since the repair it looks like this is a good strong fix.

Comment

Working...
                  X