X

fairing bolt sizes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fairing bolt sizes?

can anyone tell me what size bolts are supposed to be used to screw the fairings onto the frame, each other, etc?? none of mine screw in or out easily at all, some of the bolts are chewed on the end, and i have only a few rubber washers left. i matched up the bolts i had with some new ones of the same size, and they don't fit well either. i matched them up with M6 and M5 (windshield bolts) size metric bolts. is this what size everyone else has?

"If you ain't first, you're last..." - Ricky Bobby
    "Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

PM Special K or Braada Jim. I know Jim bought a bunch once, and Keith knows all
    AMA member # 224227

Comment

Ive got a bunch of extra ones at home I bought from the dealer. but the actual size, I can't quite remember. If nobody posts up b/4 I get home tonite from work, I'll put it up then for you, if I dont find it online first.

Comment

I have a feeling I am going to be purchasing quite a few bolts coming up here. My roomates girlfriend so kindly rearanged the garage, and moved bike stuff here and there. Now I have no idea where anything is at. Drives me insane!
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Re: fairing bolt sizes?

Originally posted by takirb
          can anyone tell me what size bolts are supposed to be used to screw the fairings onto the frame, each other, etc?? none of mine screw in or out easily at all, some of the bolts are chewed on the end, and i have only a few rubber washers left. i matched up the bolts i had with some new ones of the same size, and they don't fit well either. i matched them up with M6 and M5 (windshield bolts) size metric bolts. is this what size everyone else has?
          You bought the correct sizes 6M and 5M. If they don't thread in right. Its possible you got the wrong pitch or the threads in the frame are stripping out. The fairing bolt sizes are 6mX1 and between 10mm and 18mm in length.
          '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

the bolts that i got from the dealer for my fairing barely fit inside the stock grommits..had to get a box of those too.

Comment

I need a couple here and there two.
              AMA member # 224227

Comment

i'm sure i can buy new clips for the fairing pieces that mount to each other, but for the holes in the frame itself, i think they've been stripped out by someone trying to fit the wrong size bolt in. anything i can do to remedy that?

"Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

Tap them and fit larger bolts . You'll need the appropriate size tap (take one of the m6's with you , and find the next size up SAE equivalent tap) , and maybe a tool to drive the tap with . It can be done with vice grips , but it's much easier with the right tool .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

thanks man! i'm pretty anal about things being neat, and the bolts is one thing that's bugged me since i bought the bike...

Comment

Try chasing the threads with the correct size tap first. They may only be "boogered up" a little. And I got a couple clips from Special K.
                      AMA member # 224227

Comment

Good point . Yeah , do that !
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Meikol2
                          Try chasing the threads with the correct size tap first. They may only be "boogered up" a little. And I got a couple clips from Special K.
                          thanks for the tip! i don't think they're totally ruined 'cause i can get the M6's in there, but it's very hard to turn and feels as if it's stripping something. i've gone through a few of the bolts trying to get them back in already...

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                            I have a feeling I am going to be purchasing quite a few bolts coming up here. My roomates girlfriend so kindly rearanged the garage, and moved bike stuff here and there. Now I have no idea where anything is at. Drives me insane!
                            Damn, doesn't she understand that is like commiting suicide. You just don't go around moving parts around without let others know and help. My wife knows that I don't arrange her purse so she does arrange my stuff!
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                            Who knows what is next?
                            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

my gf won't even come outside with me while i'm working on something, more less feel compelled to move anything around without me there lol

Comment

Working...
                              X