X

Bike lost its glossy look after clear coat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike lost its glossy look after clear coat

I just painted my fairings using Duplicolor paint. When I was putting on the clear coat, it seemed to lose some of its gloss. I let the paint sit for a few days and used some turtle wax brand rubbing compound in hopes some of the gloss would return. It helped a little, but it's still kind of dull.
    Anyone have any tips or tricks on how to shine up the paint? Like i said i used some turtle wax brand rubbing compound. I applied and removed it by hand.
    Here's the only pic I have of it right now, it was taken on my phone so it's not the best picture. I still need to paint the tank, I just did the fairings.

Thanks for you help
    'He who is not afraid will always be safe'
    --Lao Tzu

wetsand and the polish

Comment

I noticed the same thing. Turned out, I didn't put a thick enough layer of Clear on. Also, make sure you clear coat has plenty of time to sit before wet sanding and polishing and all that. It has to cure properly.
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Lou I'm thinking you're right. I was in a little bit of a hurry and kinda went fast. The coats were pretty thin. I let it sit about 4 days before trying to polish, the insturctions said to wait 48 hours. Do you think I'd be able to put down a few more heavier coats of clear or should I try to wet sand off the clear that's on there, it's kind of bumpy and rough?
        'He who is not afraid will always be safe'
        --Lao Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Nate91kat
          Lou I'm thinking you're right. I was in a little bit of a hurry and kinda went fast. The coats were pretty thin. I let it sit about 4 days before trying to polish, the insturctions said to wait 48 hours. Do you think I'd be able to put down a few more heavier coats of clear or should I try to wet sand off the clear that's on there, it's kind of bumpy and rough?
          You won't be able to actually just wet sand the clear off, you would take paint with it too. I suggest going back over it with clear again, let it set, then wet sand, and polish.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

....I don't know, if I was you I would just buy a cheap HVLP spray gun and shoot real base coat, clear coat on it.....it is really not THAT hard.

Comment

I had the same result and turn out I was putting on too thin of coats for the clear

Comment

Oh it's definitely official now...

I nominate May as 'Official Old Thread Resurrection Month!'

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

I'll second that.

Long Live the D

Comment

99.9% of the time, novice painters have a hard time getting a shine. the reason is that they are too conservative when applying the clear. I am betting dollars to dounuts that if you "feel" the parts you painted, if will feel kind of rough. in some cases I have seen it like a peach....you know....kinda "hairy. This is because you are not applying it wet enough, and maybe too far from your part with the applicator. what happens like this is that the clear starts drying before it even hits the part, and by not putting enough on, it doesn't "flow" to a shine. so you are left with a dull rough finish.

so in a situation like this, it is safe to say you need to reclear it. give it a scuffing with a scothbrite pad. there is no need to wet at this point. you just want to scuff it a bit so the new clear will take hold. save your wetsanding for after it is all done, then buff after.

Here is how you make it shine:

HOWEVER, before you even attempt to apply new clear.....or even sand it, you NEED to remove the turtle wax you applied to it. if you just start sanding, you will drive the wax into the clear, clog up your sandpaper, and have one hell of a case of fisheyes when you spray the clear. you need to get a compatible prep cleaner that will be ok with dupli-color. I recommend RM. go to a paint supply store and ask for a quart. you risk using anything else on that fresh clear.

you are actually in a crappy situation right now. all that wax HAS to come off.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

crap.....I wasted my time on a year old post. wft brought it back to life?
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                        hahahaha....I was wondering why you spent so much time giving a detailed explanation. I can see if he brought it back to follow up on a question, but he was giving advise to a year old tread. lol.
                        Roops Photography|facebook|
                        03 GSXR 1000
                        04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
                        Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

Tards who don't pay attention..... I was on a personal mission to insult every person who brought back to life old @$$ threads, but then I realized by posting in them myself I am only contributing to the problem. On top of that there have been so many lately I would spend all of my time talking to smack to the people who don't pay attention as opposed to possibly getting, or giving some valuable information that is current...
                          It's still freakin annoying though.

PAY ATTENTION PEOPLE!!!
                          (caps lock is cruise control for cool :

Remember, Caps Lock is Cruise Control for Cool

Comment

//laughs...

Actually, I was looking for some similar info.. Kinda glad this came back up. Now I dont have to search for my question.. Ha..

...laughs//

Comment

Originally posted by BlackburnD
                              Tards who don't pay attention..... I was on a personal mission to insult every person who brought back to life old @$$ threads, but then I realized by posting in them myself I am only contributing to the problem. On top of that there have been so many lately I would spend all of my time talking to smack to the people who don't pay attention as opposed to possibly getting, or giving some valuable information that is current...
                              It's still freakin annoying though.

PAY ATTENTION PEOPLE!!!
                              (caps lock is cruise control for cool :
                              I don't get it. On one hand, you guys berate for people not searching. Then when they obviously do search, and decide to give whatever input they want (as compared to someone posting something stupid), you're now tearing them down for 'bringing a thread from the dead.'

Which one would you prefer use n00bs to use?

I was actually looking for just this topic, and the info Mojoe gave 'after the resurrection' was very useful.

Comment

Working...
                              X