X

Fuel Tank Problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Tank Problem

I have an 89 GSX600F and I dont think the fuel tank that came with the bike when I bought it (used) belongs to this model/bike. It doesn't fit correctly. The bottom tank seams/edges come down too far and hit the frame cross member causing it to vibrate like the the whole freakin bike is falling apart! I know that bike was laid down by the previous owner at low speed. I checked all the mounting points and they are all normal. I also checked the frame for signs of rework/repair and found nothing. So the only left is that the fuel tank just doesnt belong on that bike. I read somewhere here that a bandit tank is the same as a pre98 tank but comes down lower. Does anyone know about this? Do I have a bandit tank on my Kat and not know it?
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -H.S.T.

Rest in peace brother.

Do you have the right spacers?
    (or any spacers?)
    The tank shouldn't bolt right to the frame.
    There are thick rubber washers under it.

Comment

Yes, I have the spacers that go in the tank/seat bracket and the front rubber tank bushing too.
      "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -H.S.T.

Rest in peace brother.

Comment

can you take pics?

Comment

Yeah. I'll Take some pics tonight and post them tomorrow.

Rest in peace brother.

Comment

Well I'm not going to be able to take the pictures for a couple of days. My bike is in a friends shop and he is out of town for the next couple of days. Is there anyone thats heard of this problem though?

Rest in peace brother.

Comment

The Bandit tank doesn't have the recesses on the sides of the tank where the plasitcs fit up.

I highly doubt that if there was a Bandit tank on the kat you wouldn't notice something wrong. I've not looked closely, but from what I can recall off the top of my head, I doubt it.

Is it a kat style petcock?
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Are you sure the cross member isn't on upside down? I made that mistake the first time I put the kat back together.
                -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Oh yeah, and the bandit tank fits up differently as I recall. I think the bracket sits further back.
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I dont know if the frame cross member is on upside down or not. (note: the cross memeber thats hitting the tank I was refering to is the one directly under the middle of the fuel tank). I didnt know you could remove it. If memory serves correct I think mine is part of the frame from the factory. Looks so anyways. Cant remember for sure. I do remember that the two bolts that secure the rear tank/seat mounting bracket to the frame on the sides, are missing and think the holes dont line up either. I thought it just shifted from not having the bolts in the holes while riding but I havn't tried to move it to see if the holes truely dont line up while the top of the bracket is still bolted to the tank.

Rest in peace brother.

Comment

That bar DOES unbolt (4 bolts) , and you want those bolts for the tank . THAT could be a problem . Was the bike pieced together at one time ? SOUNDS like someone may have done a little "afro-engineering" or something ....
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Without pictures it's going to be hard to tell but....

Look around at some of the bike on here in the photo album or run a search on eBay for "Katana Tank" or "Katana Gas" and compare what you have to the results that come up.

Assuming that you do have the right tank.
                        1) Make sure that the front "C" clip of the tank goes onto the rubber mount at the front, it's an easy one to miss especially if the rubber piece has broken free from the frame (glued on)

2) make sure that cross member is bolted in right. 4 bolts and the rubber bumpers go facing up.

3) make sure that you have the correct rubber spacers at the rear. They are about 1/2 to 3/4" tall and come in 3 pieces. Without them your tank will naturally sit up off the rear mount. You need the correct bolts and spacers to pull it down into the rubber for solid mounting and vibration damping.

4) The mount at the back of the tank/ front of the seat is the second most important bracket on your bike to get the body to line up. If that mount is bent then guaranteed something is not going to line up right. Might be a 1/4" might be a mile but something will be off. Headlight cage is the other important one but has nothing to do with the tank.

Comment

I took some pics. Ill post them in just a minute.

Rest in peace brother.

Comment

Originally posted by neoclimber
                            I took some pics. Ill post them in just a minute.
                            I took these pictures just a minute ago and I was wrong. It looks like it does indeed unbolt and looking at it now after hear that it could be on upside down, I think thats exactly whats going on. In the picture you can see the rubber bushings sticking out in the middle of no where. I am assuming those would be rubber tank stoppers/bushing to help stablize and dampen the tank. It looks like I would be able to unbolt the cross member and turn it over, most likely fixing the problem. What do you guys think?
                            Attached Files

Rest in peace brother.

Comment

Problem solved! It was on up side down. Thanks everyone for all the input.

Rest in peace brother.

Comment

Working...
                              X