X

95 GSX 750F rear swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 GSX 750F rear swap

I'm pretty sure I saw a thread on here some where about a year ago but I cant seem to find it.

Ive got a 95 katana and I want to put a 4.5" rear on it and I dont know what year gsxr will work. I'm pretty sure I'll need a caliper mount and spacers as well.

Not sure it will effect anything but I have it on lowering links and an R6 shock.
    Tekgnomes Crazy Custom Fighter
    The Screaming Banshee <

Big Bore B12 swapped madness

Post wheel will swap right in.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

+1, post rim is 4.5". And there are definitely threads here that will cover that. Thought there were a few that covered gsxr wheel swaps too.

Hows the B12 build going?
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

88-89 GSXR, Bandit 600s use curved spoke matching to your front wheel, all 4.5".

20mm axle slots, so you want to match up chain adjusters, axle, spacers, caliper bracket. Mill out/file out the axle slot on your swingarm to 20mm. It's stupid easy and much cheaper to go that route then retrofit the 4.5" wheel to 17mm axles.

You can widen the swingarm by simply bending it a little further out. Simple to do just make sure you do it equal distance both sides for the total amount of room you need. It's like a total of .75" wider you need to go if I remember right.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.

Machine shop will have my jugs back in a week and a half and time trying to get everything finished.
          The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

Ok, so I have a 2002 gsxf 750 wheel in my cart. The spokes won't match but my front rim is curbed pretty bad from a slide last year and I'm planning on replacing it anyways.

Everything should directly swap over right?

What tire would you recommend to run on the 4.5"?
            The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

Originally posted by Tekgnome View Post
              Ok, so I have a 2002 gsxf 750 wheel in my cart. The spokes won't match but my front rim is curbed pretty bad from a slide last year and I'm planning on replacing it anyways.

Everything should directly swap over right?

What tire would you recommend to run on the 4.5"?
              160/60 will fit with minimal bending on the brake arm to increase it's clearance for the tire. Add 5mm spacer (or use the post spacer) on the sprocket side between carrier and swingarm.

Other than that, it's a bolt up mod.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                160/60 will fit with minimal bending on the brake arm to increase it's clearance for the tire. Add 5mm spacer (or use the post spacer) on the sprocket side between carrier and swingarm.

Other than that, it's a bolt up mod.

Krey
                I'm hoping that this is the right part?

Should I replace anything else when i swap the wheel?

Wheel bearing maybe?
                The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

I've got a post-98 wheel with my pre hub & spacer. All I had to do was grinded down the sprocket studs flush with the nuts. Its got about 3-4mm of clearance between the swingarm and studs. I hammered in my brake-torque-arm to clear the 170 tire.
                  And while I'm at it, can I ask a question ? You used what head with the B-12 header ?
                  My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Thanks!

With a 1997 bandit 1200 (1157) swap the Katana 750 header didn't clear the bottom of the frame so I'm using a bandit 1200 header.

I'm using the 36mm carbs from the 750 engine with dual oval K&N pods, a dyno jet kit, a 1989 gsxr intake cam and a 1216 81mm wiseco Forged piston kit @ 11:1 compression.

The engine is finished and in the bike all I need is the dyna 2000 ignition system put on. I should have it this weekend with the dyno results.
                    Last edited by Tekgnome; 06-08-2017, 05:28 AM.
                    The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

Cool !
                      Be sure to update us... please. Forget the haters
                      Oh, make sure you use a heavy ass hammer on the brake arm. I used a small sledge hammer. Or you can heat it with torch to soften it. Keep the outside (pretty side) laying flat on a 2x4 piece of wood when you hammer. Then just hammer the inner area, test fit , hammer it, test fit, hammer it. You may have to bend the rear caliper bolt hole (Edit: the tab) slightly to get it in, then just tighten the bolt to make it flush again.

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
                        Cool !
                        Be sure to update us... please. Forget the haters
                        Oh, make sure you use a heavy ass hammer on the brake arm. I used a small sledge hammer. Or you can heat it with torch to soften it. Keep the outside (pretty side) laying flat on a 2x4 piece of wood when you hammer. Then just hammer the inner area, test fit , hammer it, test fit, hammer it. You may have to bend the rear caliper bolt hole (Edit: the tab) slightly to get it in, then just tighten the bolt to make it flush again.
                        I used a bent fork tube I had laying around (any longer pipe would do) and just put the bracket in a brace (my brace was actually a tree fork... ) and then it was really easy to bend with out showing any marking on the arm at all.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

Thanks!

I just ordered a shinko stealth 003 160/60/zf17 for $102

I decided on a 160 over the 170 just to see how the small size feels. If I fell like going for a 170 I can always try it out and my stealth wears out after a couple thousand miles.

I'll probably burn through tires a lot heating them up at the strip on weekends.
                          The Screaming Banshee <

Comment

Heres what happened to me...
                            I had a 160, loved it, burnt it up in one season (Continental "Sport" Attack). Next season, I tried a 170, loved it more ! Burnt it up after 2 seasons (Continential "Road" Attack). Then decided to go back to a 160 because of price and I thought it would turn better. After riding with the 170 for two seasons, I must have learned to ride better/get lower in the corners. When I put that 160 back on there it felt like I was leaning too far over now, like I was riding on the side wall. Now, I've gone back to a 170 and I'm never going back ! It makes me feel way better knowing I have a little chicken strip as cushion and honestly, I think it just handles better now.

Comment

Working...
                            X