• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DayWalkerSC400
    started a topic Chain Purchasing?

Chain Purchasing?

Hey everyone:

I have a 2006 Katana 750. It is my first bike and I really love it. I've had it since 2006. It is time to replace tires and chain. I ordered the Michelin Road 4 tires because I heard good things. (Are the tires ok?)
    I live in Florida so I end up in the rain quite often.

I now need a new chain and sprockets. They have never been changed and are stock. The chain has been serviced a few times but now it is too loose and I cannot tighten it anymore. The bike has about 11,000 miles on it.

I don't know which chain I should get or what size. I do mostly commuting but I do have some fun on the bike and ride aggressively at times. I usually use the bike just to go to and from work and the gym.

Can someone please tell me what chain is best and what size chain and sprockets I would need? Also, where can I purchase it? If you have a link that would be great!

I am fine getting OEM since it has lasted me so long and from everything I can tell it is supposed to be high quality. But if you have suggestions on something better or that will last longer, please let me know. I want something that is at least as good quality though.

Thank you in advance!

• Stinger02
    replied
    Originally posted by DayWalkerSC400 View Post
    I think I am going to go with this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JT-530-X-Rin...l%3AKatana+750

sprockets are steel and the chain is JT. Thoughts?
    Thats the exact combo I use on my bike. Good Chain and sprockets. I also usually go every other chain between switching sprockets. A lot of my mileage is highway commuting but I also work for Nola Motorsports so my bike does see some track time as well.

Leave a comment:

• Suture
    replied
    I have a front and rear JT steel sprocket with an EK 530 MVXZ X-ring chain and they have worked extremely well. As 92xjunker says, you really don't want to go with the cheapest option on chains.

I had a bad quality chain before and the fucker actually fell off when I did a hard break before a corner. Made me fall and slide.

EK, DID or RK for life.

Leave a comment:

• 92xjunker
    replied
    Two things you Don't skimp on, chains and tires. Buy the best you can get, it will last much longer and be safer. Steel sprocket are always my choice.

Leave a comment:

• rarva
    replied
    Best combination I've found was 15/49 (although 49 is not easy to come by) Jt front sprocket, supersprox rear sprocket, DID vzmx 118 (my ride is a gsx600f '88)
    Heard good thing about JT chains, was my first choice (price is awesome) but they could not deliver, so after 3 months waiting for the chain I went for DID

Leave a comment:

• maniac1886
    replied
    RK, EK, or DID X-Ring chains are your best bet. Shell out the extra cash for a good one. It will be cheaper in the long run. Look at some threads about breaking chains. They usually do more damage than you would expect.

Leave a comment:

• KAT TOY
    replied
    Originally posted by DayWalkerSC400 View Post

buy the best one you can afford. if a chain breaks it can do a lot of damage to your bike. I put 50K miles on an RK chain on my 750. used Vortex rear alum. sprocket.
    Last edited by KAT TOY; 07-22-2016, 04:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lastleg
    replied
    Stick with a name-brand chain like a DID. I bought a cheapie chain from Ebay and it broke after 600 miles.

Leave a comment:

• DayWalkerSC400
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 92xjunker
    replied
    Better take off from a stop. Just a hair better

Leave a comment:

• DayWalkerSC400
    replied
    Originally posted by steves View Post
    Go 15/47 instead of 15/45.

Why is this better? I really know nothing about this. I am having a very hard time finding a chain that fits the measurements that is made in Japan (the ones I find are China or Taiwan) and then the sprockets I find are steel alloy. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Thailand not Taiwan.

Leave a comment:

• 92xjunker
    replied
    I have a wall of those sizes.. Need to order one for my custom sprocket.

Leave a comment:

• steves
    replied
    Go 15/47 instead of 15/45.

Leave a comment:

• 92xjunker
    replied
    JT sprockets are I can't remember who produces their chains, so no comment. I'm pretty sure it's a quality co. Though

Leave a comment:

• DayWalkerSC400
    replied
    What are the thoughts for this one? It looks like it will fit; however, the front sprocket is a steel alloy and not just straight steel...Also it is an X-ring and not an O-ring chain.

https://www.amazon.com/JT-Sprockets-...+chain+15%2F45

Leave a comment:

Working...
X