Chain Purchasing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain Purchasing?

Hey everyone:

I have a 2006 Katana 750. It is my first bike and I really love it. I've had it since 2006. It is time to replace tires and chain. I ordered the Michelin Road 4 tires because I heard good things. (Are the tires ok?)
    I live in Florida so I end up in the rain quite often.

I now need a new chain and sprockets. They have never been changed and are stock. The chain has been serviced a few times but now it is too loose and I cannot tighten it anymore. The bike has about 11,000 miles on it.

I don't know which chain I should get or what size. I do mostly commuting but I do have some fun on the bike and ride aggressively at times. I usually use the bike just to go to and from work and the gym.

Can someone please tell me what chain is best and what size chain and sprockets I would need? Also, where can I purchase it? If you have a link that would be great!

I am fine getting OEM since it has lasted me so long and from everything I can tell it is supposed to be high quality. But if you have suggestions on something better or that will last longer, please let me know. I want something that is at least as good quality though.

Thank you in advance!

JT Sprockets, and a DID or EK chain and you'll be fine.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      JT Sprockets, and a DID or EK chain and you'll be fine.
      What size though? I was also recommended to try Sunstar or Vortex. Should I stay away from them?

Comment

You really don't want to use cheap aluminum sprockets.
        15/47 and a 118 link 530 chain as I recall.

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
        mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

What are the thoughts for this one? It looks like it will fit; however, the front sprocket is a steel alloy and not just straight steel...Also it is an X-ring and not an O-ring chain.

Comment

JT sprockets are I can't remember who produces their chains, so no comment. I'm pretty sure it's a quality co. Though
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Go 15/47 instead of 15/45.
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I have a wall of those sizes.. Need to order one for my custom sprocket.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  Go 15/47 instead of 15/45.

Why is this better? I really know nothing about this. I am having a very hard time finding a chain that fits the measurements that is made in Japan (the ones I find are China or Taiwan) and then the sprockets I find are steel alloy. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Thailand not Taiwan.

Comment

Better take off from a stop. Just a hair better
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

I think I am going to go with this one:

sprockets are steel and the chain is JT. Thoughts?

Comment

Stick with a name-brand chain like a DID. I bought a cheapie chain from Ebay and it broke after 600 miles.
                        sigpic
                        '91 Katana 600 custom right-side shift, Yoshimura Exhaust, Vinyl Carbon Fiber wrapped.

'09 Aprilia Mana 850 Carbon Fiber body work, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID conversion

Comment

Originally posted by DayWalkerSC400 View Post
                          buy the best one you can afford. if a chain breaks it can do a lot of damage to your bike. I put 50K miles on an RK chain on my 750. used Vortex rear alum. sprocket.
                          Last edited by KAT TOY; 07-22-2016, 04:58 PM.
                          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

RK, EK, or DID X-Ring chains are your best bet. Shell out the extra cash for a good one. It will be cheaper in the long run. Look at some threads about breaking chains. They usually do more damage than you would expect.
                            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Best combination I've found was 15/49 (although 49 is not easy to come by) Jt front sprocket, supersprox rear sprocket, DID vzmx 118 (my ride is a gsx600f '88)
                              Heard good thing about JT chains, was my first choice (price is awesome) but they could not deliver, so after 3 months waiting for the chain I went for DID
                              GSX 600f '88
                              ------------
                              Custom "Ricardo Amado" OEM Style Led Gauges | Gear Display OEM Style Mod | GSX400f Gas/Oil Temp OEM Style Mod | '94 BST33ST Carbs | '96 GSX750f Swingarm Mod | '01 GSX600f Wheels Swap Mod | R6 Competition Rear Suspension Mod | 15/49 Sprockets 525 Chain Conversion | Dyna Beads | '89 GSXR750 Cams

Comment

Working...
                              X