X

Chain broke: reuse sprockets?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain broke: reuse sprockets?

The chain broke on my '86. Can I replace just the chain if the sprockets not do not show signs of excessive wear?

Or should they be considered a "matched set" that have worn in together?

Yes I know I should replace them, but can I get away with only replacing the chain?

Originally posted by Holocene View Post
    The chain broke on my '86. Can I replace just the chain if the sprockets not do not show signs of excessive wear?

Or should they be considered a "matched set" that have worn in together?

Yes I know I should replace them, but can I get away with only replacing the chain?
    Post some pics of your sprockets, but MPO I would replace as a set.
    2002 750 Kat
    2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
    2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
    2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
    1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
    2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

If the sprockets are really not worn, then replacing just the chain is fine.

Replacing a chain only with worn sprockets will lead to premature wear on the chain, and of course your sprockets would continue to wear to the point of needing replaced as well.

Best option long term is to start with a good set, properly maintained, and expect to replace the front sprocket more often than the rear due to wear.

Educate yourself on how to check for wear on both sprockets and chain. It's a simple check process, easy to do, with them still on the bike.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
      X