Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How wide can you go?

What is the widest tire size you have on your 01 Katana 600? pics please
    2001 GSX600F Katana Yellow

Proper fitment is a 160 max, stuffing a wider tire on a stock wheel deforms the tire.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      Proper fitment is a 160 max, stuffing a wider tire on a stock wheel deforms the tire.

thank you very much for the information..
      2001 GSX600F Katana Yellow

Comment

I ran a Continental Road Attack for about 2-3 yrs and loved it. After switching back to a 160 I felt like I couldn't lean the bike over as much. I'm going back to a 170 next time for sure.
        My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

I also prefer the 170. Some 170/60 tyres (such as Michelin, but there are others) are designed to fit the Kat rim width - hence, they are not distorted but at their design profile. Apart from the aesthetics of a wider tyre, the 170 offers greater load-carrying capacity and is closer to the original spec 150/70 overall diameter than the 160/60. There has been concerned expressed re the clearance to frame and swingarm with the 170, but I've had no issues on my 05 750.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
            I also prefer the 170. Some 170/60 tyres (such as Michelin, but there are others) are designed to fit the Kat rim width - hence, they are not distorted but at their design profile. Apart from the aesthetics of a wider tyre, the 170 offers greater load-carrying capacity and is closer to the original spec 150/70 overall diameter than the 160/60. There has been concerned expressed re the clearance to frame and swingarm with the 170, but I've had no issues on my 05 750.
            I agree in part, some 170 tires will fit a post Kat wheel.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

"Some 170/60 tyres (such as Michelin, but there are others) are designed to fit the Kat rim width ..."

I agree in part, some 170 tires will fit a post Kat wheel.
              Sounds like you agree in total.

Comment

I can't, I've never ridden a bike with a 170 stuffed on a 160 rim, to compare with, handling wise. :
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

I can't, I've never ridden a bike with a 170 stuffed on a 160 rim, to compare with, handling wise. :
                  We weren't discussing handling, but just whether it fits, to which you completely agreed that "some 170s will fit ..."

However, what we don't agree on in this statement:
                  "Proper fitment is a 160 max, stuffing a wider tire on a stock wheel deforms the tire." I don't agree, because it's a false statement on 2 counts. A 160 is not the widest tyre suitable for the stock post Kat 4.5" rim, and the correct 170s will not be deformed at all, but rather offer the perfect profile. FWIW, some 150/70 tyres are actually designed for a 4.0" rim, not 4.5. Obviously, as with most tyres, there is a design width, and then there are minimum and maximum rim widths either side of that.

Re handling ... because they're not "stuffed" onto the rim but fitted to the exact rim for which they were designed, those particular 170/60 tyres handle very well ... much better in fact than lowering the arse end with a 160. I know they handle well, because I've run several sets with 170 rears.

A 160 is a significantly smaller tyre in terms of OD than the stock 170.
                  Fitting a 160 will lower the rear of the bike. This effects handling balance and little things like ease of placing the bike on the centre stand. Fitting a 160 will also screw up the speedo reading even more.

But hey, there's a myth that the 160 is the largest tyre possible. Knock yourself out and perpetuate that myth. No point letting a few facts and some common sense get in the way of myths and egos.

Comment

I don't think he was making a argument, but rather speaking of what is generally accepted.
                    I corner my bike so sharp I feel like I run out of thread with the 160, I just feel safer with a 170. On the other hand, the 160 seems to fall over easier/turn with less effort.
                    For someone carrying a load/riding 2 up often, then you may consider a 170 for stability...just my opinion tho

Comment

Ok, TRPUT. All I'm saying I agree you can find tires that fit a post wheel but I can't agree as to whether it will effect handling..... Because I have never put a 170 tire on a post wheel. I own a pre....that's it, nothing more.
                      Last edited by 92xjunker; 10-21-2015, 06:53 PM.
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
                        I don't think he was making a argument, but rather speaking of what is generally accepted.
                        I corner my bike so sharp I feel like I run out of thread with the 160, I just feel safer with a 170. On the other hand, the 160 seems to fall over easier/turn with less effort.
                        For someone carrying a load/riding 2 up often, then you may consider a 170 for stability...just my opinion tho
                        Mate, I agree. As you have discovered and as is often the case however, what is "generally accepted" does not always equal fact. When I first joined the forum, "experts" would comment on pics of a 170 on a post Kat and claim unequivocally that it was "pinched", when in actual fact, it was mounted on its design rim width and profiled perfectly as intended by the manufacturer. The fact is, most 170s will fit and some are actually designed to fit perfectly.

And as I've stated several times previously, and again, which you have proven ... if carrying extra loads and touring stability are considerations, then a 170/60 tyre designed specifically for the Kat's 4.5" rim is an excellent alternative to the stock 150/70. It may not allow the bike to tip-in as quickly/easily as a 150 or 160 (although varying profiles between brands will effect this characteristic) but it keeps the bike feeling solid, predictable and well-planted. The stability is related to the (usually) flatter profile and gyroscopic effect of the slightly increased rotating mass. It still has a marginally smaller OD than the 150, but is a lot taller than the 160. The bonus is, it also looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                          ... however, what is "generally accepted" does not always equal fact...
                          Understood, No worries

Comment

My thought is if you feel you run out of tire with a 160 then my opinion is you need to work on your riding technique and not just try and run a bigger tire. Also are you running a 160/60 or 160/70?

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Its a 160/60
                              I have been working on my technique. I'm less abusive now days, which is why I still have a 1/4" chicken strip to go before I contact the sidewall.
                              Last edited by katanarider; 10-19-2015, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X