Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Anybody with a pic of a 170 tire on their Kat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it has to do with tires & wheels, then you're in the right place.
    Best tire for a Katana? What's the tread life on a particular brand ? Size of a stock rim?
    Chains & Sprockets? These questions and so much more are addressed right here !

Last edited by Lykkan; 02-23-2012, 04:30 PM. Reason: added direct images from posted thread for easier viewing

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

**** that! Do you see the profile on that thing? It looks like a horseshoe! I'll definitely be going with a 160 on the Kat.

Comment

lol

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
          Got a closer pic of the top of the tire looking from the rear so we can see the profile?
          Profile is the same as the 160
          both are designed for a 4.5" rim, Ive run both the 160 and 170 Conti's no noticable handling difference.

currently running a 170 conti motion
          ill get a pic of that later
          Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-23-2012, 04:18 PM.
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
            Profile is the same as the 160
            both are designed for a 4.5" rim, Ive run both the 160 and 170 Conti's

currently running a 170 conti motion
            ill get a pic of that later
            170/60 is a taller and wider tire. It can't have the same profile as a 160/60, it's just not possible.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
              170/60 is a taller and wider tire. It can't have the same profile as a 160/60, it's just not possible.
              really ?
              you do know that the 170 has a more "cut in" shallow side wall upto the bead right !
              it is VERY POSSIBLE
              There is a reason why these tires or any wide range of tires from some mfgs ie. 140-170 are designed for given sizes of wheels ...to maintain thier shape/profile. Dimentions are slightly different but shape is the same. Its not flexed, buldging and distoreded on the wheel.
              if you tried to put this tire on a smaller wheel it would distort the profile. But because its designed for the wider wheel it maintains its proper profile.
              If the profile was changed because of being distoreded it would not be 170mm wide it maintains its proper profile as a 160 would on the same rim. Both tires maintained thier profiles and have the same shape without distortion
              Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-23-2012, 04:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

Comment

If you would like, I will point out the obvious profile distortion on that 170 that is much more dramatic than on a 160 when i get home and have a moment to blow up and illustrate it clearly. Your pic does show it really clear to me though...

Hint, the last 1" of the right side bottom... you can see a drastic change in the radial curve.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  If you would like, I will point out the obvious profile distortion on that 170 that is much more dramatic than on a 160 when i get home and have a moment to blow up and illustrate it clearly. Your pic does show it really clear to me though...

Hint, the last 1" of the right side bottom... you can see a drastic change in the radial curve.

Krey
                  Please do. I'd like to see as I'm looking at new tires.

Comment

normally I don't get involved in this. however I recently bought a set of Motions. the 160 was backordered so I got the 170/60. it was made to fit my 4.5" wheel.[according to tire info] I didn't get very good mileage, replacing it after only 2500 miles. the replacing 160/60 tire I got about 6K. never got to the edge on either. I now run a 150/70. I get to the edge plus it feels better on turn in. I did not like the PR3s I had in between. had no fitment issue with any.
                    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                      I did not like the PR3s I had in between. had no fitment issue with any.
                      So what tire do you like?
                      2014 Ducati Monster 1200
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin-stevens/

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Krey
                        it looks like that because its looking directly down/ following the tread slot the last one inch is not distorted.
                        Also if you notice there is no chicken strip, there is but its about 1/8"
                        no matter if its a 150 or 160 or 170, I wear all my tires to the edge.

if a tire is distorted its not at the edge that you see it. its in the middle.
                        a 170 thats pulled in would measure somewhere between 155-165 Not its actual 170 width.
                        also if it was distorted I would not be riding to the edge on a ****ty conti motion in the winter in canada.
                        IveI measured every tire from 150 to 180 on my rim. Conti and Bridgestone are the only tires that are oversized that do not distort up to 170. A 180 measures less then a 170 on a post rim
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                          it looks like that because its looking directly down/ following the tread slot the last one inch is not distorted.
                          Also if you notice there is no chicken strip, there is but its about 1/8"
                          no matter if its a 150 or 160 or 170, I wear all my tires to the edge.

if a tire is distorted its not at the edge that you see it. its in the middle.
                          a 170 thats pulled in would measure somewhere between 155-165 Not its actual 170 width.
                          also if it was distorted I would not be riding to the edge on a ****ty conti motion in the winter in canada.
                          IveI measured every tire from 150 to 180 on my rim. Conti and Bridgestone are the only tires that are oversized that do not distort up to 170. A 180 measures less then a 170 on a post rim

Well I'm not going to get into an argument over the webs about a pic you took that you now say is "misleading" (but... it was posted originally to prove your point wasn't it?... ... I look at all 4 corners of that profile and see the same thing... it drastically changes the radius of the profile on the last 1/2-1" of the tire, and it does much more so than a 160 on that rim.

I'll just say that I don't agree with your statement that 2 differnt sized tires would have the same profile on the same rim size and move on.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

That 170 looks like **** HD...sorry...nice and pinched.
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I said I would get a pic LATER

the second pictures are a 160 Conti motion I took last fall. I posted so you could see the profile is the same as the 170 .
                              it looks that way because its 60% worn flat down the middle.

Once I can wash my bike ill get a pic of the 170. But right now its freezing and snow on the ground.

FWIW Im on my 3rd tire this season 16k

You guys need to learn a lot about different tire profiles, the different shapes for different riding styles and track conditions.
                              There is very good reason why some are more flat area while other are more peaked.
                              Also MFG's dont recommend tire sizes for two small of wheels. Plain and simple.
                              Just because a tire LOOKS one way to you guys means nothing.... different model tires are designed that way

Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-25-2012, 04:54 PM.
                              98 GSX750F
                              95 Honda VT600 vlx
                              08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Working...
                              X