X

tight & loose spot on chain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tight & loose spot on chain

Need some advice I have a 07 750 and the chain has two tight spots. It also has a loose spot where chain hits the pad on swing arm. If I adjust for the loose spot tight spot will only move half inch. Is that okay or safe to ride?

time for new chain and sprockets. safe? can't tell from here.
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Adjust to the tight spot and get new chain and sprockets asap. I would not make a call as t safe or not. When it is at the tight spot pull on the chain at the rear of the rear sprocket. See how far it pulls away from the sprocket. New chain does not really pull away. Depending on what you see, you will have to decide if you think it will come off.
      Maybe you could take a pic when you do that to give something to see. I don't think anyone will say safe but may say dangerous without question once they see it.

Comment

I just dealt with this. Upon adjusting my chain, I noticed the same thing as you did - tight spots and loose spots. I adjusted the tight spots to within spec (1.0-1.2" of play) and the loose spots had 2+" of play. Figured it was time for a new chain. To confirm this, I grabbed the chain at the back of the rear sprocket and was able to pull it off of the sprocket a good amount. Not so much that it would jump a tooth (but pretty close), but more than the 2mm acceptable amount.

Adjust it best you can and replace the chain and sprockets as soon as you can.

Comment

Thanks to all I tighted for now and will replace ASAP.
          Sorry bike is 06 not 07

Comment

Yeah we know, they stopped making them in 06
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I would not wait too long. I had the same issues and the chain broke while riding and I almost did big damage the the rest of the bike. And that would of cost more than the chain and sprockets. I would not push it too far unless you want to pay more down the road.......
              sigpic
              98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
              Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

+1 sooner is definitely better than later.
                My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Yep time for a new chain. Mine was doing the same thing because I did not take good care of it. So when you get a new chain be sure to maintain it.
                  www.mopowersports.com

Comment

When you get the new chain, clean and lube it religiously. Being the paranoid SOB that I am, I clean the chain and relube it every weekend. Although that might be excessive, I don't know of anyone who's worn out their chain earlier from maintaining it TOO much. That being said, most places I've been recommend cleaning and lubing the chain every 300-500 miles.

The only reason I mention maintenance is that having a loose spot AND a tight spot is often indicative of not taking care of a chain.

Comment

my chain is worn out. loose on sprocket. I did lube it frequently and cleaned it with WD-40 occasionally(Maxima chain wax). I guess it lasted ok. it has 51K on it, all in the last 5 yrs. RK xring Gold.
                      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

KT that is great wear on a chain. I run the EK SRX Chain. I just did not take care of mine. I sell them so I get them at a good price. Need to take better care of mine from this point on though.
                        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I just replaced my RK x-ring chain that only had 16k miles on it. I did clean and lube it but not every 5-600 miles. I used Maxima chain wax and occasionally a synthetic penetrating oil. I'm guessing the penetrating oil was my downfall. Either that or I had improperly adjusted it and caused excessive wear at some point. I got 20k out of the stock chain so I was somewhat disappointed in only getting 16k out of the RK chain.

I just installed a new RK RX-ring chain and some new sprockets. I will use diesel fuel to clean the chain and continue to lube with the Maxima chain wax with occasional use of synthetic manual transmission oil.

I believe the penetrating oil forced lubricant from the seals yet you say you have been using WD-40 to clean the chain and you have over 50k on it so now I'm not entirely sure what went wrong.

I'll just have to take better care of this chain and hope to get the duration out of it that you got.

Comment

Working...
                          X