X

New tire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tire

Well I decided on the Power Pilot 3 over the PR4. Reasons for me are the guys I ride with on Sundays really move so I needed a tire that I could count on in the twisties. First impressions are its fantastic. I have had it right to the edge and holding just fine. Its my first year back after a 15 year hiatus, you know kids and shit. Still working my nerve up to take the twisties faster but that will come. I don't need to over ride my greeness and eat it. I love this shit I am so happy I got a bike again.

Glad you like them. As long as you have the money to be replacing tires more often. My personal opinion on these tires is that if you need more than what the pilot road 3 offers you need to slow down. Even the harder pilot road 4 I run all the way to the edge and have not noticed a grip issue. The pr3 does use the soft compound on the sides. Not trying to make you feel bad about your tire choice. I was a little bummed that I only got 8500 miles on the pr3's and the left side had no tread left. My guess would be about 3000 to 3500 miles on the pp3's but I have not used them. Keep us posted.
    I rode about 10k over the last year and there is no way I could afford to change tires that often.

Comment

Yes they will wear a little faster but I get them online for a real good price and my buddy I ride with is a bike mechanic and he changes and balances them for me. I thought about the PR4 but he uses the PP3 as well and raved about the grip. I have low sided once do to tires so I wanted real good grip, you know the once bitten. If it gives me peace of mind and I have to put new tires on every spring, I am OK with that.

Comment

Oh, now I see the "Ontario". I guess tires last more months with your riding season. We usually have pretty mild winters and it is really dry usually so as long as the sun comes out and I have warm gear, I get to ride all year. We get storms all summer that washes dirt onto the road and then the sand in the winter. There are not many places I can see far enough to tell if the road is clean enough to push the grip level of the PR. We have so many good roads that I do not find myself going back and forth over one road to know if it is clean or not.
        It looks like summer is over for you guys up there. I rode in a little snow storm that hit last Friday and now it is in the high 80's to low 90's.
        Colorado, what can I say.

Comment

Nice, we have about 2 months left if you like riding in the cold.
          If it's sunny it's not to bad but winter is coming and it feels early
          this year. If it's like last year we are in for a ton of snow

Comment

I tried the Pirelli Angel sport touring and absolutly love them great grip even in the rain. I have heard all kinds of good things about PP4 so when I am due I might give them a try.

Ontario!!! Where are these twisties all you riders from Ontario speak of???? I have found a few roads with curves but nothing I would call twisties.
            2002 750 Kat
            2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
            2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
            2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
            1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
            2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

I'm at around 20k miles on my rear PR3 and front PR4. Mostly commuting miles, but still have some tread left and they aren't squaring off. Obviously different results than rschlegel, but different riding styles/conditions/etc. End result: we both like them and have 0 grip issues. Within the next month I'm going to have to put on new rubber, it'll be PR4s all around.

Edit: just looked it up: 17k on the front PR4, 20k on the rear PR3
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

most I ever got was about 8K on a PR2. 6K on conti motions. on rear.
                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                  most I ever got was about 8K on a PR2. 6K on conti motions. on rear.
                  Really? I got almost 18k when I had them. You guys must be tearing the twisties up! Either that or I ride like I drive (my friends have been giving me grief about driving like an old man since I was 16)
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I was just thinking about the miles I got out of my PR'3s and have to remember several things. A VERY short ride is about 50miles. The average is 150 to 175. And still some between 200 to 400. So my tires are getting up to temperature and staying there for hours. Not only are they at temp for a long time, very few of the miles are on roads that aren't filled with curves.
                    Not complaining, actually the opposite. With those conditions 8500 miles out of the rear was probably really good.
                    I will probably keep replacing as a set because the front did not have long before there would have been no tread on the left side.
                    I average about 800 miles a month on twisty mountain roads. If I ran the PP series that would mean a new set every 3 to 4 months.
                    I got 13 months out of the PR series and still got locked out of the bedroom when my wife found out that I have to put tires on the bike once a year.

Comment

Working...
                    X