Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Number of chain links for 15/48 on Pre-98?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of chain links for 15/48 on Pre-98?

Hey KatRiders,

After 400 miles (I clean and lube chain and adjust if needed every 400) I found that my rear sprocket is missing several teeth. So she's off the road till I get a new set.

Setting up an order and I'm having conflicting information coming in.

1993 Suzuki GSXF600FP

Reading that stock gearing is 14/45(47?)
    Bike was 51 rear, haven't torn apart the front.
    Also reading that many members suggest a 15 front due to the radius of a 14 causing excess wear. Should I be doing a 15 or is that a post-kat thing?

Looking at a 15/48 combo for smoother highway gearing and the high-speed twisties on my commute to college (55-70 mph) which I do every week. But from what I gather on gearingcommander.com the 15 will put me up to about where a 14/51 had put me as far as rpms at speed...

Also read conflicting information on number of links (stock is 112[?]), suggested to get a 120 link if I'm going 15/48, also read that 118 is the go-to.

Care to help me clear this up guys?

Thanks in advance.
    - Purplehaze
    All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Well.. in terms of chains, too big is defintiely better than too small but i think its 118 and 47 in the rear. GSXFJim would know about your sprocket issues tho.
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Yeah I've been talking to Jim on and off, just getting alot of conflicting research..

I guess my main question is does a larger sprocket require a longer chain as far as rolling goes, or is a longer chain (not pitch, just length) just to help dictate where the wheel will be in adjustment range when first installed (and as it wears).

Ex: Could you use a 112-link with a 54 tooth (just be to generous to the example) if only the fact the wheel would be closer to the center of the bike?
      Likewise: Could a 120 be used on a stock setup and the rear wheel need to be set out furthur from the center (adjustment range) but still be able to take full advantage of chain stretch as it wears?

or does the teeth dictate chain length (for rolling engagement of rollers between teeth)?
      - Purplehaze

Comment

Just order a 120 link chain and cut it to size.

Depending on the size sprocket you need you'll be probably either 116 or 118. Can't do odd links.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Ha, what I suspect will be the last surprise from the previous owner (nothing else to find, really).

PO left me a 114-link 520-pitch chain... EK520SRX to be exact. 14/51... 530 sprockets.. what a joy.

Steves, how will I know what is proper fittiment? Plenty of adjustment range and full engagement? Can I expect to see a lack of engagement from a wrongly-sized chain?

Apologies for all the noob questions -- have yet to ground myself on chain/sprocket knowledge..
          - Purplehaze

Comment

You can't put a 520 chain on 530 sprockets

You want to make sure that the chain is long enough, that held together without proper slack you are in about the middle of the adjuster range. I'm not sure how to explain that. Too long and it'll never get tight enough. Too short and you won't be able to keep it loose enough.

You can put the master link on and check the length before you cut anything. I always try to count 37 times and cut no more than twice. (Sometimes I'm paranoid and cut one link at a time).
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Dunno. Chain had 520 enscribed on it.. sprockets 530 . The sprockets had wear on them matching the links on the backsides of the teeth.. toward the rim. (hence why I never noticed it).

Guess I'l slap together an order when I can.
              - Purplehaze

Comment

Yep, best bet is just to order all new. And as Steves said, just get the 120 link chain and put it on using the master link without the other side plate and act like your adjusting your chain. I just checked mine (two weeks old) and with it adjusted with all stock sizes the axle adjuster is about in the middle of adjustment. I would say that if you set your rear adjuster about 1/4 of the way back you should be able to fit the chain and get an idea of how many links will need to come off but don't cut it until you have put it on the bike first. Better to find its still too long and another link needs to come off than to find out you cut it too short.

Comment

Working...
                X