X

Chain neglect.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain neglect.

I'll be honest, I've been riding around for 5 seasons without ever cleaning the chain. I just make sure the slack is in spec and then occasionally spray some chain lube over top of the existing crud.

The sprockets still are not showing excessive wear.

Anyone else neglect their chain?

I neglected the chain in mine. Did the same as you. I really did not inspect the cs sprocket the couple times I had the cover off. So I changed everything out a week ago and was surprised how much the teeth on the cs wore to the point of being bent over. I will be getting some kerosene and will be nicer to this one. When you think about it, the chain should not be too dirty if it gets cleaned every 400 - 500 miles. For me that works out to be about every other ride.

Comment

I take my not too dirty comment back. I have never really cleaned my chains. Installed my new chain and am using the #2 template for chain cleaning intervals. At 572 miles and it was pretty dirty. I used kerosene, a toothbrush and an old rag. I put some kerosene in a small jar. When I emptied the jar it had sand and small rock pieces in it and it was black.
      I vow to spend the hour to do this. The initial chain stretch was about 5mm so I adjusted that also.

Comment

Working...
      X