Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

hose chewed up in my front sprocket

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • hose chewed up in my front sprocket

    I recently purchased a 2001 Suzuki Katana which has been needing alot of updates. Last weekend after removing the front sprocket cover I discovered a hose that had been sucked up into and chewed by the chain and sprocket. It "APPEARS" that the hose runs up into the carbs and I am assuming it is a vent of some sort. Does anyone know what or where this hose is supposed to connect too.
    For some additinal information that I am not sure is relevant but, At low speeds and RPM's the bike works fine but when I take it on the highway and run it above 100 MPH for longer than 30 mins, I lose throttle, sounds like its sputtering and dieing almost like a crimped fuel line even though I have checked these. After waiting 10-20 mins. if I use the choke the bike starts back up. I am new to the mechanics side of this but if I had to guess the hose is probably a vent for the oil when it overheats?
    Any help or advice would be appreciated and if anyone needs additinal information please let me know I have no problem with taking it further apart.


    P.S. I have tried using the owners manuel but the one I have is a generic one for anything GSX-R and I find there are parts in there that my bike does not have.

  • #2
    First of all, you do NOT have a GSXR. GSXF is closer.

    It sounds like you are going through fuel starvation, I personally would only ride over 100MPH at a track for any considerable amount of time. You should never need choke on a hot engine.

    Your hose is likely just a vent, if you tell us what bike you are working on so we don't have to search for it, someone will be able to tell you where the hose originally went.
    1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

    1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

    1979 GS850G Free shafty

    1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

    1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

    2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

    Comment


    • #3
      The bike is a 2001 Suzuki Katana GSX 600-F.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by endphen View Post
        ..Last weekend after removing the front sprocket cover I discovered a hose that had been sucked up into and chewed by the chain and sprocket. It "APPEARS" that the hose runs up into the carbs and I am assuming it is a vent of some sort. Does anyone know what or where this hose is supposed to connect too.
        Could be a carb drain or the battery vent hose, You're going to have to figure out where it originates.


        Originally posted by endphen View Post
        For some additinal information that I am not sure is relevant but, At low speeds and RPM's the bike works fine but when I take it on the highway and run it above 100 MPH for longer than 30 mins, I lose throttle, sounds like its sputtering and dieing almost like a crimped fuel line even though I have checked these. After waiting 10-20 mins. if I use the choke the bike starts back up.
        Check the tank vent.


        Originally posted by endphen View Post
        I am new to the mechanics side of this but if I had to guess the hose is probably a vent for the oil when it overheats?
        What hose?


        Originally posted by endphen View Post
        P.S. I have tried using the owners manuel but the one I have is a generic one for anything GSX-R and I find there are parts in there that my bike does not have.
        Go to the Wiki and download the manual for your bike.
        http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
        http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

        "Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
        "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
        "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

        Comment


        • #5
          dowloaded the manuel and still have yet to figure the hose out I will be tracing it tonight so look forward to your future help. Believe the tank vent is fine on my bike did not have one when I first bought it and can say that was my first official troubleshooting work to fix my bike though many more have been discovered, rep.- "What hose"- the hose that was chewed up in the sprocket.

          Comment


          • #6
            http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5...se_Connections

            Krey
            93 750 Kat



            Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

            "I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by endphen View Post
              ... rep.- "What hose"- the hose that was chewed up in the sprocket.

              There is no vent hose for oil that would allow it to drain out of the bike onto the road in front of the rear wheel, there is a crank case vent tube that goes to the airbox, thats it.
              http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
              http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
              '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

              "Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
              "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
              "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

              Comment


              • #8
                just an updated front sprocket has been changed out but have yet to find what this hose is exactly for. Bike still overheats at fast speeds heard a few different options to fix it, one could be vapo locking, two air/fuel mixture screw could need adjusted , 3 air filter is to clean and needs to get a little more dirty. Thanks for attention to the issue guys when I take her apart next weekend I will track down the origination of that hose. Anyone who uses this thread I advise to use the wiki link for hose locations listed above.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by endphen View Post
                  ..Bike still overheats at fast speeds...
                  Define 'overheats', and how did you measure the temp of the engine?. It's an air cooled engine, they tend to run a bit hotter.
                  http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                  http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                  '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

                  "Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                  "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                  "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by endphen View Post
                    air filter is too clean and needs to get a little more dirty
                    That's a very interesting diagnosis and you really shouldn't trust the source. Should we roll our new air filters in the dirt before fitting? Or save money and just run with dirty filters?

                    As GSXFJim says, these bikes run hot. That doesn't mean they are over-heating. So unless you have some obvious symptoms (smoke / flames / melted bits ...) don't worry about it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by endphen View Post
                      just an updated front sprocket has been changed out but have yet to find what this hose is exactly for. Bike still overheats at fast speeds heard a few different options to fix it, one could be vapo locking, two air/fuel mixture screw could need adjusted , 3 air filter is to clean and needs to get a little more dirty. Thanks for attention to the issue guys when I take her apart next weekend I will track down the origination of that hose. Anyone who uses this thread I advise to use the wiki link for hose locations listed above.
                      remember that filter gets dirty from inside out.
                      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Unless he's running a K&N filter, which is not good. Check your petcock for proper flow and change your fuel filters with OEM type. Dare I say it..... Why are you running a hundred miles an hour on city streets?
                        Last edited by 92xjunker; 08-20-2014, 07:09 AM.
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran
                        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by endphen View Post
                          j...air filter is to clean and needs to get a little more dirty.
                          HA, how did I miss this?... Are you kidding me? Too clean? Where did you get this info, because it's so obviously wrong, think about it for a minute.
                          http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                          http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                          '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

                          "Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                          "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                          "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                            Unless he's running a K&N filter, which is not good. Check your petcock for proper flow and change your fuel filters with OEM type. Dare I say it..... Why are you running a hundred miles an hour on city streets?
                            This is Wyoming I still have trouble in believing in these mythical things all you guys keep refering too called tracks? Typically speed exceeds 100 MPH on back highways and interstate where our laws allow us to travel at such speeds as long as they are not "excessive".

                            if the problem is air/fuel mixture would not a dirtier air filter provide less air? and what is wrong with K and N air filters?
                            Last edited by endphen; 08-20-2014, 11:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by endphen View Post
                              ....if the problem is air/fuel mixture would not a dirtier air filter provide less air?
                              if it were COMPLETELY clogged, then yes.
                              http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                              http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                              '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

                              "Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                              "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                              "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X