X

Chain noise on accel

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain noise on accel

I installed a 530 RK x-ring chain and new JT front and rear sprockets (stock 14/45 gearing) about 800 miles ago. After about 300-400 miles i started hearing my chain making a "shhhhhhhhh" noise during acceleration and while cruising. The noise disappears on decel and I can't hear it unless i'm beside a car. Not sure if this is normal since i've never ran an RK chain. Any thoughts?

Nothing?

Comment

Have you lubed the chain since you installed it?
      Have you checked the chain adjustment since you installed it?
      Notice any abnormal wear on the sides of the rear sprocket? if yes, your rear wheel is not aligned properly.
      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

I've made sure that the chain is riding in the center and it still is. I have tensioned it per the manual. I haven't lubed it yet.. I'm still not 100% sure to use on it.

Comment

You're about 800 miles overdue for a lube. That would probably explain the noise - you're running a dry chain and destroying it and the sprockets. Any quality chain lube will do or even gear oil. Search for threads on chain lube for ideas.

Comment

+1 on lube. I have been using Maxima chain wax. have almost 49K on RK chain. PS. chain IS worn out.
            Last edited by KAT TOY; 08-27-2014, 09:52 PM.
            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Thanks fella's i have some liquid wrench brand lube for mine and my sons project (a souped up 3 wheeled rascal type scooter). I clean it up and shoot some lube on it and see how that goes.

Comment

I just use gear oil - flings off and takes dirt with it.
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

How are you applying it?

Comment

Not sure if you mean me, but since I had the last post I'll assume so. Apologies if not.

Best to apply when your chain is warm, but that's pretty much the case for anything you're going to put on it. I put the bike up on the centerstand and pop it in neutral, then spin the wheel by hand. I put a dab of oil over the oring between links on the outside, and along the roller/link on the inside. I do this on the top of the chain as it goes over the rear sprocket, and also on the other side of the chain under the swing arm. Takes maybe 7 minutes. I probably end up using too much but gear oil is cheap and I'd rather over do than not use enough. I don't use high quality stuff for this, figure it flings off too fast for it to particularly matter. I use 85w-140 so it won't fling off too quickly (at least I hope). I do this about every 200 miles. It gets a bit messy, so every time I fill up with gas I'll grab a paper towel and wipe down the swing arm/centerstand/kickstand/rear sprocket/chain. Dirt and grease/oil comes right off. Never had any oil get on my tire, but if you use way too much I suppose that's possible. So far this chain has 21k miles on it and is in great shape. Prior chain which didn't get as frequent oiling/lubing (maybe every 350-400 miles) and got 27k miles before it stretched to the wear limit and needed replacing. Both are/were DID xring chains.
                    Not as good as the almost 50k and counting for Kat Toy and his Maxima, but not bad.
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Alright simple enough. I'll get to it as soon as me and the wife get back from shopping...

Comment

Took time out of my honey-do list to clean and lube this chain. I used lucas engine oil stabilizer since thats the stickiest stuff i had in my garage(I don't use the crap but it was free). I still have the noise although it's gotten quieter. I have checked the contact pattern on the chain and its centered with no unusual wear on either sprocket. What else am i missing? I have a little slack in the chain (probably an inch of deflection total). Should i go tighter?

Comment

You might want to check the manual to be sure but I think .8-1.25" is the range of deflection you're looking for. How are you measuring? (Bike on sidestand or centerstand?)
                          1998 Katana 750
                          1992 Katana 1100
                          2006 Ninja 250

Comment

I'm checking it while stitting on it

Comment

I use Motul chain cleaner and Motul lube *shrug* seems to work fine to me, though the shop manual suggests pretty much anything, gear oil, engine oil, etc. Pretty much anything is better than none at all!

Comment

Working...
                              X