Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Just Bought a Chain & Sprockets - Should I Get a Better One?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Bought a Chain & Sprockets - Should I Get a Better One?

Today, I bought a chain & sprockets today for my 2004 Suzuki Katana. I'm not going to get it replaced for a few weeks, and I'm thinking about ordering something different. I had no clue what to get. Now I know that I need a 47 tooth rear sprocket, 14 tooth front sprocket, and a 530 chain (still not sure what that means).

I spent close to $200 on the set that I have now, and I'm thinking about something in the same price range but black. I'm not sure how that steel color will look on my bike. Any suggestions on what to get, where to get it from, or if I need any more info than what I have? Should I get something else or keep what I have now? Thanks.

For starters, what sprockets did you get? What brand chain? I can't tell from the packaging. (Also I'm on a cell phone, on a computer maybe that pic you took is enough to ID them)
    Quality chain is important. DID and RK are consistently highly recommended. You'll want an oring or xring chain. Volar is shit - avoid them for chains. Not sure about their sprockets, they might be ok.
    GSFXjim here runs 7thgeardesign.com, custom made sprockets. PM him for pricing. They'll be quality products.
    530 refers to the chain pitch. I believe that refers to the angles of the teeth, but I'm not positive. The sprockets and chain have to match in this regard. A 520 chain will not work on sprockets designed for 530.

As far as color of the chain - I personally don't care. They get dirty quickly and the color might eventually fade. So unless you know it to be a quality make, and you don't mind cleaning it all the time (as in more than you already should be) it might not be worth it. But if you're going to, I'd recommend gold to match your paint. Seems to be a fairly common option.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

from the looks of it , thats a JT sprocket set. not sure about the chain. the JT sprockets are good enough. the chain is probably better than the worn chain you already have on the bike. Id say put those suckers on and go have some fun
      2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

JT makes a solid product, do be cheap on the chain if you happen to have purchased a volar chain, dump it they are junk.
        Last edited by GSXFJim; 05-28-2014, 10:43 PM. Reason: my stupid smart phone....
        http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
        http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
        "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
        "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

That is a bad picture. Sorry about that.

The sprockets are JT, and the chain is BikeMaster. I just went to Iron Pony and bought what they had.

Thanks shpielers. I'll definitely look into 7th Gear Designs. Looks nice.

What about the chain? BikeMaster sounds much more generic than Volar. Should I trade it in for something else?

Comment

I have over 45,000 miles on my RK x-ring chain and still going. that's what I'll buy when the time comes.
            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by franklin View Post
              That is a bad picture. Sorry about that.

The sprockets are JT, and the chain is BikeMaster. I just went to Iron Pony and bought what they had.

Thanks shpielers. I'll definitely look into 7th Gear Designs. Looks nice.

What about the chain? BikeMaster sounds much more generic than Volar. Should I trade it in for something else?

Bikemaster chains are fine to use. They are actually made by RK, just sold cheaper by bikemaster using their lesser known name. Basically, it's the same chain that was used OEM.

JT sprockets are steel sprockets and work fine.

All are basically "no frills" but decent quality.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

45,000 miles? Maybe mine doesn't need replacing like the guy who changed my tires last year said...

I'm going on my longest trip (about 250 miles each way). I just don't want any problems. The last owner didn't bother to do much maintenance. It does have some rust on the chain, but not terrible. I'm probably going to do it anyways. I promised my friend the work, and I'm trying to learn more about working on bikes.

Thanks for the tips! I feel a lot more comfortable now.

Comment

Generally speaking, if the chain doesn't have any spots where it kinks, isn't stretched past the wear limit (something like 12.6" when measuring between 21 pins, you'll have to look in the service manual for the exact specs, but it's something like that) and isn't shedding orings, it should be fine. If it's loosing orings, the grease that's kept behind them can start seeping out and is supposed to look like rust - so it's possible that's what you're seeing. Very well could be rust, just wanted to let you know that it's a possibility too.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Originally posted by franklin View Post
                    45,000 miles? Maybe mine doesn't need replacing like the guy who changed my tires last year said...

I'm going on my longest trip (about 250 miles each way). I just don't want any problems. The last owner didn't bother to do much maintenance. It does have some rust on the chain, but not terrible. I'm probably going to do it anyways. I promised my friend the work, and I'm trying to learn more about working on bikes.

Thanks for the tips! I feel a lot more comfortable now.
                    I replaced it when I bought it in 2009. speedo read 14,8xx. was kinking and binding. lube your chain frequently.
                    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

The metal is actually rusting in some spots on the rollers and on the sides. I haven't checked the o-rings closely. I'll do that soon.

I'm at about 14,6xx miles. I'll definitely lube it more often. I've been slacking the 3 years that I've had it.

Comment

I make it a point to lube my chain with every fill, which is anywhere from 150-200 miles. Seems to have been working out so far.
                        Extra life.

Comment

I use gear oil and lube every other ride (I commute 100 miles round trip to work), so about every 200 miles. Last chain lasted 25k miles before hitting the stretch limit, current one has 15k on it and is doing great.
                          1998 Katana 750
                          1992 Katana 1100
                          2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Working...
                          X