X

highway speeds, gearing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This will help http://www.gearingcommander.com
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I got a 06 katana stock sprockets. 15 tooth on front. I want that seat of pants take off. Not really worried about top end. Also dont want to hurt the motor by over revs on interstate. What do y'all recommend. To keep it safe

Ok thanks for the help. Just didnt want to tear up my bike.

Ok another question. Has anyone here seen what a 14 tooth on front of the katana will do? Will I feel a big difference from stock 15. Or do I need to do the back too. To feel a real difference?
      Last edited by chris38; 09-01-2014, 10:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Stay with the 15, for torque... Buy a better bike....jk. Increase the rear sprocket.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Ok another question. Has anyone here seen what a 14 tooth on front of the katana will do? Will I feel a big difference from stock 15. Or do I need to do the back too. To feel a real difference?

Comment

Originally posted by chris38 View Post
            .... I want that seat of pants take off. ... What do y'all recommend.
            Buy a Super Sport bike.

Originally posted by chris38 View Post
            Stay with 15, 14 will not get you much and as you reduce the size of the C/S sprocket you put more pressure on the rollers, and as that pressure is applied it will lead to premature roller wear and failure.
            It's easier to swap the rear, I have produced a 58t rear for a member here and he went back to a 47 after a time. A 15/50 is a popular set.

The bottom line here is the Kat is heavy and under powered so you're not going to get SS bike performance out of it no matter what gears you put on it.
            http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
            http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
            "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
            "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

58t.....hehehe what's he trying to do, climb a telephone pole...
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                58t.....hehehe what's he trying to do, climb a telephone pole...
                Roll-on wheelies man, roll-on wheelies...LOL
                '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.

Comment

You can go to a 16T from sprocket but you'll have to grind the aluminum case a bit.

I would worry about rpm compared with the twins... our four's are almost turbine smooth in comparison.

Originally posted by freakngroovn View Post
                  I recently got an '04 750 and also had the same impression as brandon. I do try to keep in mind that the thing redlines above 11k, but am still pondering upping the drive cog a few teeth and/or dropping the rear chainring a few, mostly to try get more miles out of a tank of gas - the guys I ride with have miserly twins - and maybe drop a few revs at the same time. I'm thinking if it drops me a little farther away from torque/hp peaks I can quickly get the revs up with a tap or two of my left foot. Any guidance on max/front and min/rear sprocket sizes? As a starting point?
                  Thanks!
                  2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                  2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                  1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                  1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                  1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
                    You can go to a 16T from sprocket but you'll have to grind the aluminum case a bit..
                    Not 'a bit', you will need to remove a mounting point on the case for the sprocket cover and it will also put your chain very close to the clutch push rod. A 16t is just not a good idea.
                    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

Comment

Jim, you sound like a lawyer...

I put a 16th front sprocket on with a bit of grinding of the cover...... the cover isn't structural per see.

I posted pictures on katriders when I did the install.
                      Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
                      Not 'a bit', you will need to remove a mounting point on the case for the sprocket cover and it will also put your chain very close to the clutch push rod. A 16t is just not a good idea.
                      2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                      2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                      1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                      1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                      1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

I went -1 in front, +1 in the rear on my 94 750. You get a significant difference. When i leave a stop light, i get quicker take offs at lower revs...exactly what i wanted. Rolling down the street or on the freeway, i have more passing power at lower rpms. I notice more torque all the way through the band.

In fact...i was cruising on the freeway this morning, and had to slow from 75 to 40...i was in 6th, and didn't downshift. When i rolled on the throttle, there was no hesitation...just pulled all the way back to 75.

My freeway rpms...6k at 70, 6600 at 80, and 7k at 85.
                        why.......do I not believe you?

Comment

6k at 70 is not too bad. That sounds like the rpm came up around 500rpm from stock if I am correctly remembering where my stock gearing puts me at 70 mph.

Comment

stock gearing really is a pretty good compromise of economy and acceleration.

I had my mind set on changing my gearing for better acceleration, but after riding to work a few times (40 miles), I decided that would really be a waste of money. I may go up a tooth or two in the rear when the time comes to buy new sprockets and a chain, but it's certainly not necessary until they current set is worn.

as for "hurting" the engine with high RPM, that is almost laughable. If your bike is moving at highway speeds, then air is taking heat away from the oil cooler, and your bike is going to be fine. If you're holding it on the rev limiter at a stoplight, that's a different story. Even so, GSX-F motors are pretty hard to destroy...

The bike in that video is a '91 GSX-R, so different cams than the GSX-F motors, but still an air-cooled Suzuki I-4. Obviously I don't recommend doing that to your bike, but think of this the next time you're cruising at 7k for a few minutes and start to worry about things breaking.
                            Last edited by rk97; 09-03-2014, 11:32 AM.
                            -Chris
                            **if what I said can be taken two ways, and one of them offends you, I meant it the other way.

Comment

What the holy mother of god...why would you do that to a bike...
                              Cool vid, but man...why???
                              Pretty sure those sparks flying out the exhaust are prices of metal that are supposed to be inside the engine...
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Freaking Stupid on sooo many levels. I tell ya what, if I was there, I wouldnt be getting close to that tailpipe trying to record it. I would be putting myself at a safe distance. That dude on the bike is lucky he didnt blow himself up!!

Kinda like this. 1st problem - being an idiot. 2nd problem - being an idiot on a kaw.

My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                                2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
                                X