No announcement yet.
X

Looking for DIY on front sprocket change

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I was able to get the front sprocket changed out. Under the cover was filthy so I degreaser it and cleaned it all up. The next few days it's going to rain so I'll wait to change out the chain and rear sprocket.

Any recommendations for a good chain tool. I know I'll need to eventually change out this Volar chain I'm installing and my CBR is going to need a chain soon also.

Comment

Originally posted by shodog View Post
      Today I was able to get the front sprocket changed out. Under the cover was filthy so I degreaser it and cleaned it all up. The next few days it's going to rain so I'll wait to change out the chain and rear sprocket.

Any recommendations for a good chain tool. I know I'll need to eventually change out this Volar chain I'm installing and my CBR is going to need a chain soon also.

Pitposse or motion pro has a pretty decent model.

When you cleaned the cover, did you pull, clean, and regrease with marine grade grease the clutch throw out assembly on the cover?

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        When you cleaned the cover, did you pull, clean, and regrease with marine grade grease the clutch throw out assembly on the cover?

Krey
        Negative ghostrider. I just greased up the pin. I saw mention to it in threads but not how to do it. I can always do it another time.

Comment

Greasing the bearings:
          Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
          From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
          this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Adjusting the clutch:
          A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
          mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Service manual is your friend.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shodog View Post
            Negative ghostrider. I just greased up the pin. I saw mention to it in threads but not how to do it. I can always do it another time.

90% of the resistance felt on used bikes for your clutch is going to be that worm gear. Proper cleaning and re-apply of grease is a yearly maintenance item. It's almost always over looked, and is the number 1 cause of "stiff clutch" complaints. If you can't 1-2 finger pull your clutch in, more often than not it's because of that, NOT because it's a cable clutch as many might suggest.

Rusted/damaged/un-lubed cables would be the second most common issue, but people deal with those more often because they are more in their face and cause an actual failure to the system that is much more obvious.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks for everyones help. I got the chain and rear sprocket installed yesterday and was able to ride it today to work. When I get home tonight, i'll tighten up the slack in the chain.

Comment

FYI, the chain is going to need adjusting once or twice in the next couple thousand miles. They stretch most right after you install them, then settle in, and then stretch again as they start to wear out. They still stretch during that middle period, but not nearly as much.
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

No biggie on front sprocket. I think It's 34mm socket(been awhile) but you will need a impact , break over bar and a fat boy on the back break didn't work

Comment

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                    mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                    X