X

wanna save money??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wanna save money??

I have brought this up on KR a few times, and this will be my last time. If you really want to save money and not have to pay some bozo to change your tires at $40-50 a pop carrying the rims in, or more if you drive the bike in, then get yourself a set of pry bars and some equal balancing beads. I personally have been using this stuff for over a decade now. You will never see any bike of mine with lead weights on the rim. FYI, lead weights DO NOT account for tire wear, and if that tire wear is uneven, which it usually is because most riders tend to lean more on one side then the other...so your lead weights become null and void. same thing with tires that start to cup. these beads a free to move to any area of the tire to compensate for and and all wear. The trucking industry has been using this stuff for decades to eliminate the need for frequent balancing.

This post is not a debate. I have no intention or desire to hear all the blah blah on why this stuff doesn't work. Like I said, been using it for over a decade now, with great success, so excuse me if your opinion means crap to me. I am just giving you another option besides carting your rims or your bike to some tire guy who is going to over charge you to change a tire. if you can change your own chains, oil, and do routine stuff, there is no reason you can't do tire changes on your own, unless you are just to lazy to do so....and in that case, just keep paying some bozo to do it for you.

simple instructions:

1- remove wheel from bike.
    2- remove old tire with pry bars.
    3- install new tire
    4- insert correct amount of equal balancing beads inside tire
    5- add air to tire so it seats on the rim
    6- install wheel on bike and go riding.

it's not rocket science. a monkey could probably be trained to do it. try it yourself and take some pride in knowing you are not reliant on some guy who is going to overcharge you for a 10 minute job.

these are the beads: http://www.checkeredflagtires.com/beadcharts.htm

these are the specs for motorcycles: http://www.checkeredflagtires.com/motorcycles.htm
    Last edited by Mojoe; 07-31-2012, 03:21 PM.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

dyna beads can cause tire damage...
    if you ride like a pansy its not likely they will cause too much damage
    but even they do not recommend them on soft sport/race tires or agreesive/track use as they DO scrape and scrub the inner walls of the tires.

I have personally seen tires ridge down the center on sport bikes from this using standard sport tires

Ive removed lots of dyna beads from tires and often a LOT of rubber comes with it. Not just tire pearls... but a lot of rubber

They also void all tire warranties. Email the mfgs if you wish to confirm. Any liquid or weighted mass inside the tire will void the warranty.

use at your own risk
    Last edited by hardlydangerous; 08-01-2012, 12:36 AM.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I've used the beads plenty of times, and never had any problems. They leave a little shiny spot in the middle, but never any real wear. It may void the warranty in Canada, but not necessarily in the US. I've heard from a couple manufacturers that they will still honor the warranty.

I've stopped using them since they make such a freaking huge mess when changing tires, and it really doesn't take me that much longer to balance with lead than it does to try to force feed the beads down the valve core.
      Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

goop,slime,plugs,patches,beads or none of these. yes,the way to save money is to do it yourself whatever you use!
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X