X

Condition of my Chain - question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Condition of my Chain - question

Sup KR! So I've got a question for you all. Bought my bike with 9500 miles on it. Currently has 17,500 miles on it that i've put since I purchase the bike in April. It is a 2002 kat. So I adjust the chain last weekend, this week I noticed that it is loose again. Seems like over the past month of so, the chain has gotten lose pretty often and needs to be tightened all over again. it is happening more often than the previous months that I've owned it. My question is, with the chain getting loose so often, does this mean it's time to replace the chain + sprockets? Not sure what it means when the chain starts to act like mine currently is.
    - = Dane = -

"Everybody knows it ain't tricking if you got it"

If the chain is continually losing it's tension - time ot replace. Best bet would be chain and gears as a set - but you'll get differing views on this subject. Part of the reason for replacement is due to lack of maintenance of the chain: cleaning and oiling at intervals.
    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
      If the chain is continually losing it's tension - time ot replace. Best bet would be chain and gears as a set - but you'll get differing views on this subject. Part of the reason for replacement is due to lack of maintenance of the chain: cleaning and oiling at intervals.
      Roger that, I think I just never knew how to clean my chain until last time I cleaned it. First time I cleaned it, I didn't even wipe it down. But that just comes from lack of knowledge, which I now know better. I was planning on getting chain + sprockets as a set, always read that that's the way it should be so that's the route I will be taking. When I got the bike though, chain was in HORRIBLE condition. Guess his maintenance and my lack of knowledge killed the chain. Lol. Any brands you recommend? Sites to buy from?
      - = Dane = -

Comment

Time for a new chain and sprockets.

I like DID for the chain personally.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          Time for a new chain and sprockets.

I like DID for the chain personally.
          How about sprockets? I'll start to shop around. Also, could I get "DID" chain and sprockets? Or do the "sets" not come like that? I just don't know if there is a set that comes with both sprockets and chain or do you have to buy it all separately?
          - = Dane = -

Comment

Originally posted by DaneG320U545 View Post
            How about sprockets? I'll start to shop around. Also, could I get "DID" chain and sprockets?
            Most of the DID sets I've seen come with JT sprockets, which have proven a price/quality balance. I'm still running a 10k+ mile chain, maintained, and my JT's hardly show any ware. Probably from being well maintained, but they are definitely better than OEM. I'll get around to changing them soon..

The DID + JT combo (or similar) would be the cheaper but still good route to go. Or you can always go with a Vortex (or other) Custom set, and even opt to go to 520 conversion. Now would be a good time to consider changing your gear ratio as well if you have any complaints in that area.

I also agree chain and sprocks should always go together.

Comment

thanks for the info Trip. Not sure if I want to change gear ratios. I honestly like low end power but I also like my top end and don't want to lose on either. What is everybody's set up? What's the reason for your gear set up? I may just look into DID + JT combo, don't wanna spend a fortune on it but I DO want to get quality product for the bang of my buck
              - = Dane = -

Comment

find a local shop that deals with Parts Unlimited as a supplier.
                buy thier Parts unlimited X-ring chain.. Thier house brands chains are made by EK (o ring) and DID (x ring) and cost a lot less
                I use to buy it in 50' rolls.
                its all I have run for 4+ years. Thier sprockets are great as well.

they are Aprox

$100 for o ring
                $115 for X ring

Not bad for a Brand Name EK or DID chain without the fancy lable/packaging
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

www.sprocketcenter.com is a good place to find whole kits...

Comment

Working...
                  X