X

Chain lube

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MOtana View Post
    really? how often should i lube it tho? cuz i dont think i ever toched min since i picked up my bike 3 months ago!!
    Every 100-150 miles (which is about a every tank fill).

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I do mine every 200-300 miles, completely clean, degrease, and relube every 1000 or so. The chain on my FZ6 already has 7000 miles on it and the chain and sprockets still look like new.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        Every 100-150 miles (which is about a every tank fill).
        wow!! thanks buddy!! i was never aware of that!! i put about 1300 miles since i picked it up! and never touched my chain!

so quicky a link to how and what to lube with best would be appreciated!
        !!Never Doubt an Engineer!!
        BMW 335 XI S.O.- Suzuki Katana 600
        ! life is good !

Comment

Originally posted by MOtana View Post
          wow!! thanks buddy!! i was never aware of that!! i put about 1300 miles since i picked it up! and never touched my chain!

so quicky a link to how and what to lube with best would be appreciated!
          [ame="http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=chain+lube&sitesearch=katriders.com&domains=ka triders.com"]chain lube site:katriders.com - Google Search[/ame]

I know googling is very time consuming, but it usually works.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
            chain lube site:katriders.com - Google Search

I know googling is very time consuming, but it usually works.
            hehe ^^^

im sorry, didnt mean to bug ya, of course google is #1 manual fosho just though asking an experianced person here would def. juice it out on the spot thats all sorry for the trouble once again
            !!Never Doubt an Engineer!!
            BMW 335 XI S.O.- Suzuki Katana 600
            ! life is good !

Comment

Just a note...

The service manuals and owner's guide state...

Before every ride, inspect chain. Adjust as nessasary. Ensure adequate lubrication
              and then...

Drive Chain: Clean, inspect, adjust every 600 miles.
              The owner's manual states..

To clean, wash the chain with kearosene, and let dry. lube with suzuki chain lube or moror oil (SAE 20W/50).
              Now, it does not say you must lube the chain as I indicated ( no hateful PMs please...). What it says is inspect it before every ride. Generally speaking most people's "ride" is 1 tank of gas. Light Lube of the chain habit also gives you that opportunity to inspect the chain. More lube isn't going to hurt anything at all unless your trying to use a whole can on it or something silly. Letting the chain get dry... will.

How often may also depend on where you ride, the enviroment, and how often you ride. Of course you should adjust accordingly.

But... that all said, I generally think that a light lube every tank, and a cleaning every 4-5th tank is a good idea.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                Now, it does not say you must lube the chain as I indicated ( no hateful PMs please...). What it says is inspect it before every ride. Generally speaking most people's "ride" is 1 tank of gas. Light Lube of the chain habit also gives you that opportunity to inspect the chain. More lube isn't going to hurt anything at all unless your trying to use a whole can on it or something silly. Letting the chain get dry... will.

How often may also depend on where you ride, the enviroment, and how often you ride. Of course you should adjust accordingly.

But... that all said, I generally think that a light lube every tank, and a cleaning every 4-5th tank is a good idea.

Krey
                Great info, thanks Krey! and the rest of the contributors
                - = Dane = -

"Everybody knows it ain't tricking if you got it"

Comment

Do yourself a favor and use a good chain lube. I like Motorex or Chainwax myself. You have to let it set up for a few minutes after you lube it, but they don't fling off as easy as some other products. Motor oil will just make a mess!

With your center stand being off, do yourself a favor and by a rear stand. You will really apperciate it in the future. Having a front stand is nice as well, but that rear stand will make your experience with maint. much more enjoyable.

BTW, it is more important to lube the rollers of the chain. Just hitting the side(s) of the chain does little. You will FEEL the diffrence in power since you have put a boat load of miles on that chain. I feel the increase after 300 miles.

Also, most chains are o-ring or x-ring type chains. Make sure that what you use to clean your chain is safe for an o-ring chain if that is what is on your bike. Using some sort of cleaner that eats away at the o-ring will shorten the life of your chain dramatically.

Rob

Comment

What are you guys using to clean your chain? I personally use Kerosene. But I hear people use WD-40, Chain Cleaner, etc. Also, what is your lube of choice? Always heard good things about Motul. I'd just rather get something that I can snag at a local store
                    - = Dane = -

Comment

Belray superclean chain lube

once a month spray with fluid film and wipe clean after a good ride, then re lube with Belray superclean. No mess no smell.
                      98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

After I get back from a ride and feel like cleaning it (about every 400 miles) I've always put down newspaper, cleaned my chain with a brass brush, (like toothbrush sized) then reapply chain wax. Never used a "cleaner" since I've been using chain wax, just a brush.

Most the battle is keeping your sprockets aligned right as that eats the stuff up fastest. (lube is needed as well)
                        My YouTube Videos
                        My motorcyle map!

Comment

I cleaned my chain last night with dish soap and water. It was the worst! Took so long and while it is clean, it isn't pristine. Wiped each link with the blue shop towels from Autozone after scrubbing. Sprayed with Liquid Wrench chain lube. I am definitely getting Bel-Ray for future cleanings.
                          Extra life.

Comment

That's what I'm noticing, there are people that just use the lube itself to clean the chain, use kerosene, or use some type of chain cleaner
                            - = Dane = -

Comment

DUPONT CHAIN SAVER is the best i have ever used and no other works like it .="http://www.youtube.com/v/UkigrfLY7LU...ilpage"><param

Comment

FLUID FILM
                                no more cleaning... spray, ride, wipe off, lube with your favorite lube or wax.
                                98 GSX750F
                                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                                X