X

chain cleaning. did i do it right???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain cleaning. did i do it right???

apparently, my chain was waaaay over due for a clean and lub. i used bel ray super clean. and maxima clean up. anyways, it seems as if the lub left some white residue. the shop person said this would happen. but i'm just not sure if i did it right. i think i caked it on too much tho. haha

it looks more dirty than clean XD

I use Bel Ray super clean as well, and that looks a LOT neater than mine ever does. I get that **** everywhere when I lube the chain. Sprocket, hugger, swinger, and wheel hub all have white **** all over them every time. I hit the center of the chain and the outside plates at the same time, then hit the inside plates.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

i only got it on the sprocket. should i go through the inside as well? or am i ok without it?

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi3432 View Post
        i only got it on the sprocket. should i go through the inside as well? or am i ok without it?
        Take a decent (1hr) ride as it is now, as soon as you pull into the garage or your parking lot or wherever, immediately soak it down. Looks like you put it on with a cold chain, I usually clean, then ride for a bit (hot chain) THEN use the Bel Ray. It's kinda thick, so having a nice warm chain makes it soak in a lot better.

And yes, you need to hit the back, only doing 2/3 of the chain is only 67% as good as doing it the right way.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

i was reading the instructions and kept wondering, how warm they wanted the chain. guess that answers my question. ill ride it tomorrow. and i rotated through the chain hitting all of it. but if i need to hit the front sprocket as well, then ill do that. will it go bad if i dont warm the chain up tonight and ride it tomorrow? or is it ok?

Comment

It wont stretch out over one or two rides, but with a hot chain the steel expands a bit so when you hit it with the lube it will soak into the inside of the sideplates a lot better.

Remember, you're lubing the contact points between the O rings and the plates, not the actual plates themselves.

The Bel Ray can be pretty messy, but I'm at 17k miles on my original chain on my 636 (bought it at 8k miles in 2008) and I clean and lube 2-3 times per season. Even though it makes a mess, I like the Bel Ray.

Comment

that chain looks awefully dry and there are some small kinks in the chain. more lube please !
              2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

more lube! coming up!

Comment

Working...
                X