X

Rear Tire size how wide???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Tire size how wide???

Can someone tell me what the widest rear tire you can fit on an 89 Katana GSX750F. Looks like their is about an inch between the tire and chain and 1/2 inch on the oppsite side do to the caliper brace arm. But I can make a new brace so that thier is also an inch of space on that side also. So if i modifiy the brace for clearene how wide and if left stock how wide. Thanks

I believe those had a 3.5" wide rear rim, either way, the safest tire size is a 160. How much room is in your swingarm is irrelevant, it's the width of your rim that matters.

Comment

My 89 had a 160.......if you want to go wider, you may want to contact Krey and go with a different swingarm.
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I wouldn't go any larger than a 150 on the stock 3.5" rim.

Comment

Must be time for the "what's the widest tire I can fit" threads to start up again. Anway, 160 on the 3.5" rim. If you wanted to go wider there's a whole write up on what is needed and what rims are a direct swap etc....
          When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Originally posted by MrBrant View Post
            I wouldn't go any larger than a 150 on the stock 3.5" rim.
            This is the only correct answer. 160 on a 4.5" rim, he has a 3.5" rim, I wouldn't go larger than a 150 tire.

Originally posted by phantasm View Post
            Must be time for the "what's the widest tire I can fit" threads to start up again. Anway, 160 on the 3.5" rim. If you wanted to go wider there's a whole write up on what is needed and what rims are a direct swap etc....
            That time never ends. If your gonna complain about "the widest tire" threads, at least answer right.
            Last edited by arsenic; 09-01-2011, 06:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              This is the only correct answer. 160 on a 4.5" rim, he has a 3.5" rim, I wouldn't go larger than a 150 tire.

That time never ends. If your gonna complain about "the widest tire" threads, at least answer right.
              10 bucks says OP goes with a 170 or larger.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                10 bucks says OP goes with a 170 or larger.
                now you're just stirring the pot.
                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                  now you're just stirring the pot.
                  No, stirring the pot would be betting on a 170 or larger tire AND saying it works just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                    No, stirring the pot would be betting on a 170 or larger tire AND saying it works just fine.
                    It does work fine... as long as you don't ride it.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post

Type-o. My bad.
                      When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Stock rim of 3.5" wide max would be 150/70.

Put a post 4.5" wide rim and you could clear a 160/70 without mods for the tire. A 170 would be real close, probably need some adjustment for the brake arm.

If you want to keep the matching curved spoke design of the pre, then a bandit 4.5" rim could be used (it's 4.5") if you spread open the swingarm forks by bending them for the larger hub (the bandit wheels are wider in the center too...). Your still maxed at 160 without some clearance work on the brake arm at least, possibly getting tight on the swingarm.

If you go any larger with like a 5.5" rim, and run a 170 or 180 on it... then your really needing to widen the arms drastically at the brace point to give clearance for the tire.

Widening the "arms" is only really needed if your not putting a 6+" stretch on the arms. If your stretching the swingarm, then your already compensating for the wider tire just by moving the axle slots away from the Y portion of the swingarm.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Krey.. how far back would the axle need to go to get the tire to clear bends in the arm?
                          http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                          http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                          '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                          "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                          "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
                            Krey.. how far back would the axle need to go to get the tire to clear bends in the arm?

Well, it's a gradient change so... I'd say anything over 6" will clear what ever you put between the arms. If it's less than that, it will depend on how wide you go...

The simple check would be measure the clearance between the arms and mark where you have the minimal of max tire width + clearance, then measure that location from the stock. I recomend at least 13mm clearance each side, or 26mm total. Compare that to stock tire edge location and you have the answer.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I have a 750 pre SA stretched 3" and fits a 5.5" rim just fine.
                              Now do I use it? No, not my taste,ended up being a waste of money that is sittin in my garage.
                              1992- project katfighter
                              2005- GSXR750
                              2001- TL1000R
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                              www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                              KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                              KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Working...
                              X