X

Thank God a bike shop was close....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank God a bike shop was close....

So yesterday I was getting my gear on and warming up the bike for my 45 mile commute back home from work.

Went through my saftey walk-around and looked at my chain. Good thing i did cause I noticed that my clip-on for the master link was MISSING!

WTF???

Have NO idea how it came off and when.

Thank my lucky stars there was a Honda dealer ship down the road from my offices. They had a replacement link/clip that I put on to get her back home and held up just fine.

That being said, I ordered a rivet-style master link for the Regina gold chain I have. Yes one came with the chain/sprocket kit I put on this past winter but don't have the press tool to install it.

So as soon as the rivet one arrives, I am heading to the shop to have them press it on as they said they'd charge me like $15.

And yes, I put on the original clip-style the correct way.

In short, lesson learned. If you have the option of a rivet master link...USE IT.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'

Someone makes a cheap rivet tool, can't remember who. It's worth it to have one around.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Harbor Freight has one. It doesn't get any cheaper than that.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        Harbor Freight has one. It doesn't get any cheaper than that.
        True story.
        "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

And to think there are people out there that think doing a walk-around on your bike is a waste of time...Good on you for keeping up with your inspections!
          Will R. Everett,WA

"I am not in a hurry to die....just to live before I die" ---Me

Comment

Originally posted by willburrrr2003 View Post
            And to think there are people out there that think doing a walk-around on your bike is a waste of time...Good on you for keeping up with your inspections!

exactly! It only takes a few seconds or a minute to do so.

Safety first!
            The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
              Someone makes a cheap rivet tool, can't remember who. It's worth it to have one around.
              I used a C-Clamp and a BB. I think it was Teddy told me thats how he did his... worked well for me.
              Originally posted by arsenic
              93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                I used a C-Clamp and a BB. I think it was Teddy told me thats how he did his... worked well for me.

Great TIP, never heard of this one...
                "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

A steel block for the backup, a steel spacer filed to the correct thickness to fit between the plates and a ball peen hammer.

Comment

i carry a spare master link in my tank bag.
                    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                    X