X

Replacing my rear tire...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing my rear tire...

looking at a few new rear tires...any preferences on these...or critiques.

right now I am riding on a Metzeler Sportec MC-1.

first time replacing the tire, so any input on difference in tires would be helpful. I like the Metzeler, never had an issue with it. Just curious what your thoughts were on these others.

Thanks
    sigpic
    GWest
    93 KatRider

Stay away from the tomahawk. I don't know if that tire specifically is a "re-tread" but the company that makes them specializes in re-treading tires for airplanes. The other ones will be fine, but the opinion on Shinko's is 50% good and 50% bad. I'd also stay away from used tires. I personally would recommend replacing both the front and rear at the same time. Shop around at the different motorcycle websites. I just picked up a set of bridgestone bt-023's for 200$ out the door.

The current set of tires on my bike are the pirelli angel st's and they're phenominal...I still have some life on them with about 7000 miles down. A LOT of people also swear by the michelin pilot road 2's and 3's. You can find good deals on the 2's right now also......good luck

Comment

How about trying a real vendor, not some ebay stuff. I doubt you can save enough from ebay to justify not buying from an authorized reseller, and buying tires of questionable age.

How about you just tell us what tires you are looking at instead of a bunch of ebay links?

You are currently running such an old tire, that anything would be an improvement. My goto tire is currently the Michelin Pilot Road 3, before that it was the PR2.
      Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

The Tomohawk is actually listed as a "remanufactured" tyre, so stay away.

The knob with the insult at the end of his ad for the Conti should probably be avoided also. (He would rather throw it away than get any dollars for it??!!)

As above, plenty of REAL tyre sellers out there with good brands and prices. The PR2 has been receiving excellent reviews around the world for years. You can't go wrong with this tyre. I'm actually going to run Shinkos next - I'll report back later this year after a mega tour whether I think they are Dinkos or Stinkos!

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
          How about trying a real vendor, not some ebay stuff. I doubt you can save enough from ebay to justify not buying from an authorized reseller, and buying tires of questionable age.

How about you just tell us what tires you are looking at instead of a bunch of ebay links?

You are currently running such an old tire, that anything would be an improvement. My goto tire is currently the Michelin Pilot Road 3, before that it was the PR2.
          din't say i was getting from ebay. local shop i was looking to buy from has these tires on hand. this was just an easy reference tool to view the tires i was considering. so..these are the tires i was looking at..hence the question and asking of information. thanks for the help..i think.

Originally posted by indianboy7 View Post
          Stay away from the tomahawk. I don't know if that tire specifically is a "re-tread" but the company that makes them specializes in re-treading tires for airplanes. The other ones will be fine, but the opinion on Shinko's is 50% good and 50% bad. I'd also stay away from used tires. I personally would recommend replacing both the front and rear at the same time. Shop around at the different motorcycle websites. I just picked up a set of bridgestone bt-023's for 200$ out the door.

The current set of tires on my bike are the pirelli angel st's and they're phenominal...I still have some life on them with about 7000 miles down. A LOT of people also swear by the michelin pilot road 2's and 3's. You can find good deals on the 2's right now also......good luck
          thanks for the input. both at the same time...just replaced front tire(had some dry rot at start of season) bike had been sitting for a few years when i got it. rear was fine...just a tad lower on tread & now I am into the tread wear line. so front is good. that's also why it's a bit of an older tire on the rear.

Thanks for the input though guys. Stay away from the tomahawk. Shinko's are mixed opinion...and the conti should be good, especially since I am on an "old" tire anyway.
          Appreciate the input "on the tires".
          sigpic
          GWest
          93 KatRider

Comment

Working...
          X