X

88 katana rim swap help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 katana rim swap help

Im looking to change my 6 spoke 88 katana rim for a newer 4.5'' width rim from a newer kat. Besides aquiring the tire and rim, what else is needed to convert it? will I need to change hubs and calipers? What years of kats would i want to find a rim from??

If the 88's have the same size SA as other pre's, any year post wheel will work. For the front, again if the spacing is the same as other pre's which I'm not sure, you will want a wheel from a 98-02.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

hmmm...how would I determine if the swimg arms are the same?

Comment

Check the specs of your SA against say some of the other specs that can be found on this site.

Could also check part numbers on bikebandit.com for any discrepancies.
        Last edited by cintidude04; 08-04-2011, 12:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

well i have been researching this for the last day or so with more questions coming up then getting answered by reading.

I was hoping someone who has attempted this conversion would shed some light on the topic. Atleast give me a starting point....what year rim to look for..ect

This is my first street bike that i'm working on here. I am a millwright/ Industrial mechanic so I am confident I can do anything to it I want, not worried about the mechanics. Heck I have access to a machine shop so i could make my own parts if i needed. More concerned about all the added hidden costs of doing this conversion. I was hoping for a direct bolt on conversion..

Comment

Originally posted by 88kat-rider View Post
            I was hoping someone who has attempted this conversion would shed some light on the topic. Atleast give me a starting point....what year rim to look for..ect
            I did, it's up to you to figure out if it will work.
            I don't exactly have an 88 prekat wheel here to take the measurements for you.
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

no offense, but that wasn't much help.

like i said before..."someone who has done the conversion to chime in" no where on this site or on the WIKI does it tell you info about doing this.

If you've done it why hide how to do it?

Comment

I've done it on my pre kat. a 92. I gave you the years of the wheels you will need, and told you what you need to figure out to know whether or not they will work.
                Now if you cant go measure your SA and then use the search function to find if dimensions are the same as other pre kat SA's... Then fine, let me go have a smoke, then I will put my own research for my build on hold to do yours for you.

235mm for a pre 600 SA
                Last edited by cintidude04; 08-04-2011, 01:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

I can do it all, problem is WTF is a pre kat, post kat ? im not up on the lingo here. I was asking about someone with an 88 kat. Nice you did it on your 92 but if they arent the same, an 88 and 92 ,your info wont help me. Again im not wanting someone to do my research for me, just some guidence. I've never measured a swing arm before and even if i did get the measurement done properly and compare it to the other years it still doesn't mean anything! i'm sure there is more to it then just getting a matching swing arm length. Maybe i'm wrong...that's why i'm asking

Comment

I can do it all, problem is WTF is a pre kat, post kat ? im not up on the lingo here. I was asking about someone with an 88 kat. Nice you did it on your 92 but if they arent the same, an 88 and 92 ,your info wont help me. Again im not wanting someone to do my research for me, just some guidence. I've never measured a swing arm before and even if i did get the measurement done properly and compare it to the other years it still doesn't mean anything! i'm sure there is more to it then just getting a matching swing arm length. Maybe i'm wrong...that's why i'm asking
                    You know we have a Katana Wiki here, right? That has the info you are looking for?

Pre Kat 97 and older....Post Kat 98 and newer. If you had read half the crap you said you had read, you would know that. You would also know that from 88-97 they are all the same, so his info WILL help you.

You really think measuring your swingarm won't help you? Are you sure you're a millwright? Measuring your swingarm will tell you what width of wheel you can run, what hub width will fit, etc. You need to measure not only length, but width at the part you want to change. You know, where the wheel goes. Then you need to measure where the rotor goes, so you'll know what rotor and caliper to use. It's not just a this fits with this answer......

Comment

Pre kat is 88-97, Post kat is 98-06.
                      The information I gave you will very much help for what you are wanting to do.
                      Length of the SA has nothing to do with it, it is the width that counts, you not have the width of most Pre kats, now you can either measure your SA or use the search function on here to see if someone has posted the width. If the widths are the same, then the Post 4.5" wheel will fit, then you need to find out if the axle is the same diameter, which I believe it is.

Simple as that.
                      1992- project katfighter
                      2005- GSXR750
                      2001- TL1000R
                      www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

the inner width of the arm ON YOUR BIKE vs. the inner width of the arms on a bike the YEAR RIM YOU ARE WANTING to use is what the man is trying to say... slow down, take time, search the forums a bit. you are sure to find what you need... thats what ive been doing since i joined... not asking repeated Qs but finding them already answered here in the past...

(I.E.) what they said...
                        Last edited by 95 katana; 08-04-2011, 01:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        1995 Katana 600 Street Fighter, Daily driver. -TOTALLED
                        2006 Honda CBR 1000rr stretched 10" -TOTALLED
                        1972 Kawasaki H2 Triple, New Play Toy...

Comment

bring up the link on the wiki then cause i cant find one with the info. I search the old post and find more people bitching about asking questions than actually helping.

i never said measuring the SA wont help,

Comment

http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5?title=Post there ya go
                            1992- project katfighter
                            2005- GSXR750
                            2001- TL1000R
                            www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

i never said measuring the SA wont help, and you can loose the keyboard balls cause if you were to talk to me like that in person you'd suck food through a straw for a while

I wasn't being disrespectful up til now. if you dont want to answer a question then don't.

Speaking of keyboard balls Mr. Tough Guy......

Comment

Working...
                              X