X

mounting nightmare

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mounting nightmare

I just got my second set of Michelin Pilot Road 2's. Absolutely a super tire, I got almost 13,000 miles out of the first set, great in the rain, just can't say enough about them! But here we go again! I can not get the back tire to seat. The front goes on the first shot, NP. The first set the only way I got it to seat was leaving it in a car with the windows closed so it soaked up the heat and than it popped on with the help of a blast tank from my local shop. This time it's not so warm out and again I can not get it to seat.

Does anyone have any good ideas short of the ether thing which I'm scared to death of!
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
    Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
    R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
    1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
    RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
    3BBB turn signal mirrors,
    Black painted seat and rear trim,
    Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

I used to do this with my offroad truck tires....

Take a ratchet strap, wrap it around the tire. Crank it down until the bead JUST touches the rim. Apply air. Don't ratchet too hard, or you'll ruin the tire.

Comment

Actualy I did try a strap,
      I used a ratcheting tie down strap and it didn't work for me.
      Thanks though

Comment

Spray soapy water around the bad and try to seat it again, if not:

Starting fluid... I used a propane torch so I dont have to be so close when I light it. Never failed me yet.
        Originally posted by arsenic
        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
          I used to do this with my offroad truck tires....

Take a ratchet strap, wrap it around the tire. Crank it down until the bead JUST touches the rim. Apply air. Don't ratchet too hard, or you'll ruin the tire.

Thats what i have done in the past as well. works well on the trail!
          -Troy
          2005 Silver/Gray 750
          K&N Intake, ReJetted Carbs, Scorpion Can, -1/+3 Sprockets(Yikes!), DID Chain, Smoked Turns, Smoked Tail/Integrated Turns, HID's, De-Stickered!

Comment

I just use straight "dawn" on the bead.remove valve core. I have a length of hose without a fitting on the end of it that I shove on the valve(that way it can easily blow off if pressure gets too high), then I let the compressor build to about 125 n dump the air to er. The instant the tire starts to budge I cut the air. Almost always sets on the first shot for me. I just use a small compressor designed to run nail guns. I'm sure someone has some reason u shouldn't use straight dawn, but dat how ize dooz it. Good luck!
            sigpic
            1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

Originally posted by mather_builders View Post
              I'm sure someone has some reason u shouldn't use straight dawn, but dat how ize dooz it. Good luck!
              If you get crazy with it, it can spin the tire a little under hard acceleration and throw your balance off. It happens with car tires, anyway......
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Spray windex around the bead, bounce it a couple times, apply air. Never had much trouble getting anything that didn't have a damaged bead to seat, especially the PR2/3, they are stupid easy.
                Pics
                Pics
                No pics yet
                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

The simple answer is...

Get over geing scared of the "spray, fire, boom" trick.

Start with little spray, and a longer "bbq" type lighter to be back from it. It's works easy and simply.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    The simple answer is...

Get over geing scared of the "spray, fire, boom" trick.

Start with little spray, and a longer "bbq" type lighter to be back from it. It's works easy and simply.

Krey
                    And cross your fingers that you don't have too much fuel in there so that it only burns long enough to seat the bead, and not long enough to damage the tire liner or the valve.
                    Pics
                    Pics
                    No pics yet
                    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                      And cross your fingers that you don't have too much fuel in there so that it only burns long enough to seat the bead, and not long enough to damage the tire liner or the valve.
                      Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      .....Start with little spray, ....

I've yet to hear of someone having the issues you mentioned as the "heat" generated from the flames of an alchol fire such as this is reletively very low... Besides, it's not "fire" you ultimately want. That means too much fuel. It's boom, you want. Just the right mix of fuel/aire to cause a mini exlosion inside the tire.

When that happens, all the fire goes out. It doesn't burn any longer inside.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I broke down and had the tire shop mount it for me, and he had a heck of a time, It took him three tries with the air can and it finally set. He did use a bit of mounting grease at the spot where the bead had to be forced over the rim, never saw that before?

I just don't know why the rear is such a bear. The front is a piece of cake.

You really feel safe using the ether trick? I'm scared to death with it

What do you call a little shot? Like a one second spray? And we are talking about starting fluid right?

I may try it next year when the next set goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by bob393 View Post
                          I broke down and had the tire shop mount it for me, and he had a heck of a time, It took him three tries with the air can and it finally set. He did use a bit of mounting grease at the spot where the bead had to be forced over the rim, never saw that before?

I just don't know why the rear is such a bear. The front is a piece of cake.

You really feel safe using the ether trick? I'm scared to death with it

What do you call a little shot? Like a one second spray? And we are talking about starting fluid right?

I may try it next year when the next set goes on.
                          like... half a second or so.. yeah, just a quick spritz. Start with less...

krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                          X