Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sjorge3442
    started a topic Damn Nails!

Damn Nails!

Found a nail in my rear tire today. I was hoping it was shallow, but it wasnt. It was in the stock tire, which has 2500 miles on it.

Rather than risk my safety with patches and what-not, I decided to just get a new rear tire.

Anyone know of any good deals going on and are there certain sizes that people tend to like on the kat more so than the stock configuration? I am also debating whether to just replace the front at the same time, but in all honesty, how bad are the stock tires?

• cintidude04
    replied
    never hurts to shop around. Once I even bought tires and took them to a tractor-trailer mechanic at his shopand he mounted an balanced them for me real cheap. Wish he was still living round here.
    Price really all depends on the area.

Leave a comment:

• Sjorge3442
    replied
    do you guys think that is a fair price or should I try to find somewhere else to take my business. The thing is, this is one of the only shops that I would trust working on my bike.

Leave a comment:

• Sjorge3442
    replied
    that IS with the wheels off the bike. I might just do one tire this paycheck, and one the next so that way I can get back on the bike

Leave a comment:

• cintidude04
    replied
    Do you have tools? Take the wheels off yourself and they will lower the price. Its actually not that bad a price for my area. They tried to tell me it would be 365 before tax until I explained to them I had the wheels in my trunk.

Leave a comment:

• Sjorge3442
    replied
    stopped by the shop today, $310 mounted for the front and rears or $170 for just the rear....not sure what to do. Im getting ready to start my senior year of college, so Im pretty broke, but safety is a huge concern for me.

Leave a comment:

• Sjorge3442
    replied
    You guys are too convincing. Looks like I'm going to be buying both tires. After reading around it seems like the pilots are the way to go.

Leave a comment:

• cintidude04
    replied
    +1

Leave a comment:

• thetable
    replied
    Damn, if I had the macadams on my bike, I'd've put the nail in there myself just to justify new tires.

Leave a comment:

• cintidude04
    replied
    Wouldn't be horrible, but I do suggesst replacing both at the same time. An increased confidence in the rear and still having the crappy front smells like a washout waiting to happen.

Leave a comment:

• Sjorge3442
    replied
    So how bad would it be if I were to just grab a 160 60 pilot 2ct for the rear for the time being to finish the season oFf and grab the matching front this winter?

Leave a comment:

• cintidude04
    replied
    The first few hundred miles on new tires are the most likely time you will pick up nails. Mine just had miles from the rally, I will be plugging and patching it this week. I know people, on the forum, that have gotten nails in a fresh tire, plugged an patch it and rode the rest of the life of the tire with no problem, including track days. But that wouldnt be worthwhile for the OP since his tires are old and not of good quality anyways.

Leave a comment:

• STULER
    replied
    My uncle bought a brand new bike. Got 4k on the stock tire and found a nail. so he replaced both front and rear with a set of conti road attacks. no more than 200 miles on that set and found ANOTHER nail. so 3 sets of tires in less than 4k miles. lol Darn nails!!!

Leave a comment:

• cintidude04
    replied
    I went 160/60, 120/70 Mich. Pilot Power 2ct. and cant recommend them enough.

Leave a comment:

• Sjorge3442
    replied
    looks like im parking the bike for a little bit then. Im going to check out the local shop and see what kind of pricing they can do on a set mounted. I heard they are a sucker for haggle-ling if you tell them you are just gonna order online.

So, are there any sets of tires that work particularly well on the kat?

Should I keep the stock sizing?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X