X

Damn Nails!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn Nails!

Found a nail in my rear tire today. I was hoping it was shallow, but it wasnt. It was in the stock tire, which has 2500 miles on it.

Rather than risk my safety with patches and what-not, I decided to just get a new rear tire.

Anyone know of any good deals going on and are there certain sizes that people tend to like on the kat more so than the stock configuration? I am also debating whether to just replace the front at the same time, but in all honesty, how bad are the stock tires?
    New Carbs and new tires makes it hard to take it easy on the throttle....

Originally posted by Sjorge3442 View Post
    Found a nail in my rear tire today. I was hoping it was shallow, but it wasnt. It was in the stock tire, which has 2500 miles on it.

Rather than risk my safety with patches and what-not, I decided to just get a new rear tire.

Anyone know of any good deals going on and are there certain sizes that people tend to like on the kat more so than the stock configuration? I am also debating whether to just replace the front at the same time, but in all honesty, how bad are the stock tires?

The mcrapdamns?... um... the difference is huge!

Get new tires front and back. It's worth it, even if you had brand new mcrapdamns on it.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

feel ur pain found a screw in my tire last saturday morning
      ----USMC combat vet----
      07 Yamaha r6s & 93 Kat streetfighter project

Comment

If it has tires on it from 2006, yes you should get new ones if only because they are too old.
        -2000 "750"

Comment

I feel your pain on the nail situation, although I got mine on a brand new set down at the rally. Whether you had a nail in them or not I would definitely recommend changing your tires due to their age and the fact that the stock tires suck.
          1992- project katfighter
          2005- GSXR750
          2001- TL1000R
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

looks like im parking the bike for a little bit then. Im going to check out the local shop and see what kind of pricing they can do on a set mounted. I heard they are a sucker for haggle-ling if you tell them you are just gonna order online.

So, are there any sets of tires that work particularly well on the kat?

Should I keep the stock sizing?

Comment

I went 160/60, 120/70 Mich. Pilot Power 2ct. and cant recommend them enough.
              1992- project katfighter
              2005- GSXR750
              2001- TL1000R
              www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

My uncle bought a brand new bike. Got 4k on the stock tire and found a nail. so he replaced both front and rear with a set of conti road attacks. no more than 200 miles on that set and found ANOTHER nail. so 3 sets of tires in less than 4k miles. lol Darn nails!!!
                Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                Current Bikes:
                1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

The first few hundred miles on new tires are the most likely time you will pick up nails. Mine just had miles from the rally, I will be plugging and patching it this week. I know people, on the forum, that have gotten nails in a fresh tire, plugged an patch it and rode the rest of the life of the tire with no problem, including track days. But that wouldnt be worthwhile for the OP since his tires are old and not of good quality anyways.
                  1992- project katfighter
                  2005- GSXR750
                  2001- TL1000R
                  www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

So how bad would it be if I were to just grab a 160 60 pilot 2ct for the rear for the time being to finish the season oFf and grab the matching front this winter?

Comment

Wouldn't be horrible, but I do suggesst replacing both at the same time. An increased confidence in the rear and still having the crappy front smells like a washout waiting to happen.
                      1992- project katfighter
                      2005- GSXR750
                      2001- TL1000R
                      www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Damn, if I had the macadams on my bike, I'd've put the nail in there myself just to justify new tires.
                        Pics
                        Pics
                        No pics yet
                        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

+1
                          1992- project katfighter
                          2005- GSXR750
                          2001- TL1000R
                          www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

You guys are too convincing. Looks like I'm going to be buying both tires. After reading around it seems like the pilots are the way to go.

Comment

stopped by the shop today, $310 mounted for the front and rears or $170 for just the rear....not sure what to do. Im getting ready to start my senior year of college, so Im pretty broke, but safety is a huge concern for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X