X

Need suggestions on a high mileage rear tire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need suggestions on a high mileage rear tire

I've got a 2001 750 Kat that I've started using to commute 100 miles a day to work. It's all interstate driving. I need a good tire to handle high mileage. Any suggestions? I need a rear right now and I'm sure the front isn't far behind. Thanks

Pilot road 2s... go ahead and get the set.

krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

DUNLOP Road smarts

I have heard people r getting 15000-20000 km on these (9000-12000miles) and they are not that outragously priced

Comment

+1 on the PR2 suggestion. You can still have fun with them too

Comment

This is never fun to see

Comment

That wear pattern looks like you were running around on a flat, or at least half flat tire, and your wheel alignment is off.

PR2 is pretty much the longest lasting tire that still has good grip.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Any specific reason the PR3s aren't recommended over the PR2s?

Comment

PR3 sacrifices a little life for more traction, and huge improvements in rain handling ability.
                Pics
                Pics
                No pics yet
                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                  That wear pattern looks like you were running around on a flat, or at least half flat tire, and your wheel alignment is off.
                  unless he really favours left turns over right turns.
                  2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
                    unless he really favours left turns over right turns.
                    We all favor left turns, well at least those of us who drive on the right side of the road. But looking at the wear, and how it is almost concave, and the amount of excess wear on that side, I'm going with really low pressure and tire alignment.
                    Pics
                    Pics
                    No pics yet

Comment

It's odd. The tire is aligned correctly but your right, it is excessively worn on the left side and so is the front wheel. I live in Louisiana. It's all straight and 90 degree turns. I'm not sure what caused it.

Comment

Lefts almost always wear more because they are longer. Picture an intersection, then picture how much further you travel when tuning right rather than turning left. Add to that left handers have better sight lines.
                        Pics
                        Pics
                        No pics yet

Comment

I'm no tire expert but when I was looking for a good.... maybe call it compromise tire grip/handling vs. high mileage. the local tire guy steered me to the Pirelli deablo strata's thats what he installs on all the local police bikes. I've got about 5k on them so far, and I'm really happy with them.
                          Richard
                          96 Suzuki GSX750F
                          89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
                          05 Yamaha WR450F
                          05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

The PR2 significantly outlasts the Strada on the bikes I've run them on. Besides that looks to be either a Strada or a Z6 (same tire, slightly different tread design) already on the bike.
                            Pics
                            Pics
                            No pics yet

Comment

The PR2 replaces whatever the old "touring tire" was in the Michelin line up.

Apparently the PP 2CT is going way to be replaced by the Pilot Pure...
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X