X

Why did it crack

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did it crack

Ok so i put new chain and sprockets on my bike about this time last year rk chain (bought from HS on here) i noticed today that i had a vibration on the way home got home and was going over my bike and noticed that several of the links on the chain had cracked from the pin all the way out to the edge chain wasn't to tight and i lube it regularly any ideas on this one
    1990 kat 600 sigpic

Could be a manufacturing defect. I'd get some good images of it and contact RK. I assume the chain was properly aligned.
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Well as best I could tell it was aligned it tracked straight and rolled smooth
      1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

I'd have to go with a factory issue then.
        http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
        http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
        "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
        "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

+1
          Never heard of a chain doing that and can't think of any good reason why it would.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Wait, what, like the side plate of the chain? Sounds like the calibration on the riveting machine got messed up. You need to replace the chain immediately, and talk to RK.

I've not been impressed with RK chains as of late. Moving more towards DID.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
              I've not been impressed with RK chains as of late. Moving more towards DID.
              I had no luck with RK on my race quad... Switched to DID and it was smooth sailing from their.
              Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

I think I'd better go take a good look at my chain...what size and series are you using?

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

530 pitch not sure about the rest and yes it was the side plate
                  1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                    I think I'd better go take a good look at my chain...what size and series are you using?

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I will try and get a picture of the links tomorrow and when i say they are cracked they are cracked to the point i could stick a finger nail in them.
                      1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

I've never had sideplates crack on a chain like that, but I did have 1 chain that had every roller split right down the middle with less than 3k miles on it. That was a TYC (tyco) HD o-ring 530 chain.
                        John,
                        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Philskat View Post
                          I will try and get a picture of the links tomorrow and when i say they are cracked they are cracked to the point i could stick a finger nail in them.
                          Well past tomorrow, where the pics?
                          Pics
                          Pics
                          No pics yet
                          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Working...
                          X