X

Stop n Go tire plug kit testing in progress

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop n Go tire plug kit testing in progress

Well, after more than a 100k miles, I finally got my first flat puncture on the way to work this morning. I felt the screw go in the tire, less than two miles from work, and then started watching my TPMS pressures (09 Kawi Concours,) sure enough, it started showing the pressure in my rear tire dropping; I lost about 4 PSI in 5 minutes.

Pulled into work, put the bike up on the centerstand, and started looking at the rear tire. Sure enough, I had picked up a nice shiny screw in my week old PR3...

It's days like these, I'm glad I was running the bags and had the tire plug kit and compressor. Pulled the screw, made two attempts to put the plug in, then read the directions again (it's been a while since I've had cause to even try the kit.) Turns out I was forgetting that I had to shove the plug into the handle before it would go through the little hole in the insertion nozzle. So anyway, I finally get the plug in the hole, pull it back out and fully seat the plug. throw on the compressor and wait, then wait some more. (Little air compressors go slow...) I then sliced the tail off the plug so that it is even with the tread.

Three hours later, she is still holding pressure, and we'll see what happens after work today, because I have a fair amount of running around that I need to do. If it holds for that, then I'm leaving the tire on and will be testing it at the gap.

Shouldn't take me but a couple months to do a full tire life test on the plugs, and I'll report back. Just not feeling like replacing a week old $180 tire because of one little hole. If you don't hear from me for a while, I'll guess you'll know what happened.

Pics
    Pics
    No pics yet
    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

-Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by professa_riddler View Post
      +1

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I used one of those plugs a few years back on one of my rear tires, matter of fact it was in my tire when I went to the rally that year. Rode the whole week 2up with my boy and never had a problem with it. With the big head on those plugs it is damb near impossible for that plug to come out while riding.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
          With the big head on those it is damb near impossible for that to come out while riding.
          Thats what she said
          1992- project katfighter
          2005- GSXR750
          2001- TL1000R
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

I'm really interested to see how this work out, the stop and go plugs look very similar to the Dyna plug which is what I currently have.
            -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
            sigpic

Comment

I have the stop and go kit and I plugged a tire about 6 months ago and have had zero issues. Doesn't loose pressure over time or anything. Everyone told me how bad an idea it was and I am very glad for my wallets sake that I gave it a shot anyways. I will use this tire to the wear bars.

p.s. I don't like the look of the dynaplug kit... one of the most comforting parts of the stop and go kit is the big head...
              Last edited by niqbales; 07-14-2011, 12:08 PM.
              95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
              Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
              ---
              I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

Originally posted by professa_riddler View Post
                I'm really interested to see how this work out, the stop and go plugs look very similar to the Dyna plug which is what I currently have.
                I like the looks of the Dynaplug kit, but I bought the SnG kit before the Dynaplug setup came out. (At least before I knew of their existence.)
                Pics
                Pics
                No pics yet
                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

150 miles down and still holding... KNOCK ON WOOD.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                    150 miles down and still holding... KNOCK ON WOOD.

Ummmm, shouldn’t that be “Knock on rubber”?

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
                      Ummmm, shouldn’t that be “Knock on rubber”?
                      Don't do that!
                      The plug might fall out

Comment

More than 3000 miles in, and a lot of those miles brutal, still holding pressure, no problems.
                        Pics
                        Pics
                        No pics yet

Comment

Joseph, the first bike I bought had four plugs in the front tire with several thousand miles of road wear and no problemas. But wait, don't the tires on that Connie repair and reinflate themselves automatically?

I love that bike of yours!
                          Last edited by zuma; 07-25-2011, 08:50 AM. Reason: Tripped by a rolling turd!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
                            But wait, don't the tires on that Connie repair and reinflate themselves automatically?
                            They had to draw the line somewhere, and that was right after the telling you something is wrong point.
                            Pics
                            Pics
                            No pics yet

Comment

And the latest status is, leaking around the plug, after I'm not sure how many miles, but I do know they were really freaking hard miles. Losing about a PSI + per day.
                              Pics
                              Pics
                              No pics yet

Comment

Working...
                              X