X

Bent Front Axle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent Front Axle

So I searched for "bent axle", Bent front axle" and "axle run out" but only came up with posts that went in different directions.

I've been riding on and off(took a break while the kids were young) for 35 years. I have never had to deal with a bent front axle before. I pulled the front wheel on my 2000 Kat 600 to replace the bearings and the front axle is slightly bent. Just shy of 1mm of deflection/run out. Is this enough to worry about? I definitely feel a slight hitch in the front wheel at slow speed. I do have a good bit of vibration in the bars at highway speed but I thought that was fairly common with this style bike.

A new axle is cheap and I will order a replacement but I should I ground her until it arrives?

I wouldn't ride on a bent axle, but thats me.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Might as well. Better safe than sorry.
      "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

I have one for a 2000 kat. PM if you are interested in saving a few bucks
        -2000 "750"

Comment

I'd be as worried about the front axle as I would what caused it. That axle has a fair amount of meat to it, so it's going to take something substantial to bend it.
          Pics
          Pics
          No pics yet
          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by luvmy40 View Post
            So I searched for "bent axle", Bent front axle" and "axle run out" but only came up with posts that went in different directions.

I've been riding on and off(took a break while the kids were young) for 35 years. I have never had to deal with a bent front axle before. I pulled the front wheel on my 2000 Kat 600 to replace the bearings and the front axle is slightly bent. Just shy of 1mm of deflection/run out. Is this enough to worry about? I definitely feel a slight hitch in the front wheel at slow speed. I do have a good bit of vibration in the bars at highway speed but I thought that was fairly common with this style bike.

A new axle is cheap and I will order a replacement but I should I ground her until it arrives?
            I think the tolerance for axle runout is just a few thousandths. 1mm is about .040 I think, so that would be way out.
            Last edited by thenastiestnate; 07-14-2011, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
              I'd be as worried about the front axle as I would what caused it. That axle has a fair amount of meat to it, so it's going to take something substantial to bend it.
              I am seeing signs that this bike has been dropped hard. Nothing major but lots of little stuff. I have no base of comparison but I think the plastic is after market. It has definitely been repainted at the very least. And some of the mounting is a fight to fit. I know it wasn't the immediate PO that wrecked it(I've known him as long as he had owned it). He only put 2k on it in the 2-3 years that he rode it but he says it never gave him any problems. The early carb issue that I found was his doing and he admitted it. He had removed the carbs and cleaned them before storing the bike and said he must have not gotten the jet tightened down securely. I checked all the jets and it was only the one that was loose.

Anyway, Cheriff is sending me an axle so that will be taken care of in a few days.

Comment

Working...
              X