X

GSX600F Front Sprocket fitting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSX600F Front Sprocket fitting

Hi, I'm in the process of fitting new chain and sprockets for the first time. When I took the front sprocket off the washer was cone shaped and after removing the locking bolt the socket nut came off fairly easily. Hmm, was it tight?? I have now fitted the new sprocket (same size), and it is much further on the shaft. I have hammered the washer flat and refitted the locking bolt but the washer is no where near the sprocket nut. Is this right? It is like there is a washer/ spacer missing?
    Attached Files

is this a post or pre. I have no what the pre looks like. but the post has got a hex bolt so if that is a post the previous owner put on something he found that is not stock. if its a pre I have no idea..
    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by wallyis View Post
      Hi, I'm in the process of fitting new chain and sprockets for the first time. When I took the front sprocket off the washer was cone shaped and after removing the locking bolt the socket nut came off fairly easily. Hmm, was it tight?? I have now fitted the new sprocket (same size), and it is much further on the shaft. I have hammered the washer flat and refitted the locking bolt but the washer is no where near the sprocket nut. Is this right? It is like there is a washer/ spacer missing?

Pre 600?

Should have a rubber holder, a rubber spacer, sprocket, rubber spacer, rubber holder, large nut, washer, lock bolt.

I see everything on this side... do you have the holder and rubber spacer on the engine side as well?

If you do, I would consider the "lock bolt" is not OEM and my possibly be too long. It might be seating before it's pushing tight on the sprocket like it should.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

That 'washer' looks too big in diameter.. the inner plate of the chain is rubbing on it...
        http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
        http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
        "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
        "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

This picture was taken after fitting the new sprocket. Note it is a old Kat 600, Teapot style!

From the transmission there is a large spacer then rubber, then the sprocket, then another rubber against another large spacer, then the sprocket nut. The locking bolt passes through the outer washer and is tight against the shaft. This matches the parts diagram. The bit I am unsure of is the gap between the outer washer and the sprocket nut as I would expect them to touch to lock the sprocket nut in place.

I didn't take a previous picture. Before I fitted the new sprocket the previous sprocket was about 5mm further out. and it looked like it had pushed the locking washer out into a cone shape. i.e. stopped by the locking bolt. The way it is now, if the sprocket nut came loose, the sprocket nut could move out a couple of mm before it was stopped by the outer washer. As I haven't done the job before or seen another one I just want to be sure it is assembled correctly.

Comment

Working...
          X