X

? About chain and my new sprockets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? About chain and my new sprockets

So I went to a motorcycle shop and got a new chain and sprocket and I thought that I needed a 15/47 sprockets and a 118 chain right? On a 97 750 katana bc the guy there said it's a 15/45 sprockets and a 108 chain. He said that will give me better acceleration. Will that work on my bike?

Ahhh I belive that the 108 link chain will be a tad short. to increase acceleration you need a smaller front sprocket and/or larger rear sprocket.
    Me thinks you need to go to a better informed shop..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by Chimpin07 View Post
      So I went to a motorcycle shop and got a new chain and sprocket and I thought that I needed a 15/47 sprockets and a 118 chain right? On a 97 750 katana bc the guy there said it's a 15/45 sprockets and a 108 chain. He said that will give me better acceleration. Will that work on my bike?

Look at the rear sprocket on your bike. It has the number of teeth stamped on it.

There was a transition on the 750s where they changed from 15/47 to 15/45 setups. There hasn't been enough info to state which you have for sure... just look at the rear sprocket.

Your chain length will be 118 links for the 15/47, or 116 links for the 15/45. If it doesn't cost extra, I always suggest just buy a 120 link chain and break it down to the right size after you have the new parts on.

The larger the count on the rear, the more accel and lower top speed. I never suggest messing with the front. Smaller fronts tend to decrease chain life.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well thanks guys now I'm going to argue with this shop bc I said that I needed a 108 link for a 15/45 setup and I told them 118 and they absolutely insisted that it was a 108. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Chimpin07 View Post
          Well thanks guys now I'm going to argue with this shop bc I said that I needed a 108 link for a 15/45 setup and I told them 118 and they absolutely insisted that it was a 108. Thanks guys.

dont argue, just go elsewhere after you return your incorrect chain.

See My Garage for mods...
          T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
          Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            I never suggest messing with the front. Smaller fronts tend to decrease chain life.
            +100
            http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
            http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
            "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
            "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

i just told them to give me a new 120 chain and i removed 4 links to give me 116 and now its great thanks guys

Comment

Working...
              X