X

Tire help guys and gals

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire help guys and gals

I am about to replace the tires on my 04 750, i know the stock rear is a 150 but can i go with a 160 or will it hurt anything....also looking at shinko or the dunlop q2 thanks
    2004 katana 750

you can go 160 and will not hurt a thing but the next 20 post after this one will say its a kat dont do it ur gonna die...lol. go cheap if your going bigger so you can burn it off and get it out ur system. after that buy a good tire. Just mt opinion
    sigpicTrust me I know everything! Just ask!

Comment

i have a Conti Motion 170/60 on my 98 750 with no clearance issues. it is made to fit that wheel.
      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I have a 170/60/17 Michelin pilot power on my 2006 & I have no issues.

Comment

wow thanks a 170 would be nice
          2004 katana 750

Comment

Just my opinion, but I would look elsewhere for tires, regarding the Shinkos. No good experiences with them.
            ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
            チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
            Semper Fi

Comment

Why stop at a 170? Go for a 240, it will REALLY grip the road

160 is fine, the 170 conti is the only 170 designed for a 4.5 inch rim I've seen and it's not a great tire.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                Why stop at a 170? Go for a 240, it will REALLY grip the road

160 is fine, the 170 conti is the only 170 designed for a 4.5 inch rim I've seen and it's not a great tire.

The only 2 tires by continental that come in a 170 size are the cointi-force, and the conti road attacks. Both are recomeneded by conti to be used on a 4.5" rim, if you pick that size of tire. They can be fit on rim sizes 4.25-5.50.

I use the road attacks alot, and like them... alot. Personal preference though. I ride fairly fast through the curves (don't slow down often) and they have always performed great for me.

Pilot Road, Pilot Road 2, and Pilot Powers are the only Michelin tires listed in their tech manuals as coming in a 170 size. I found at least 1 bike they recomended this size for a 4.5" rim for, so they will fit as well.

The Meztler Sportech M3 170 is recomended for a 4.5" rim. On the other hand, their Roadtech Z6 170 is listed as permitted sizes 5-5.5" only, and suggest the z6 160 for 4.5" rims.

The simple of it... don't go by size alone. Pick the tires that best fits your needs, and then get the sizes they offer for those tires that will fit your rims.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

thanks for all the info guys
                  2004 katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by Scout View Post
                    Just my opinion, but I would look elsewhere for tires, regarding the Shinkos. No good experiences with them.
                    The Shinkos are not bad if you want real good mileage out of your tires, grip is good when the tires are warm, cold tires and they offer little grip. I've ridden in hard rain several times with them and again once warm they grip well. I've had many spirited runs on them and am able to push them to their limits.

I have about 12,000 miles on the 160 rear and maybe about 2000 on the front. For the money and relative performance they are a great tire. My next set of tires will be different not because I don't like the Shinkos but because I would like to try out the other mfgs and see what they have to offer.
                    Originally posted by chrisgreer23
                    Looks like Crash has lived up to his name.
                    2000 Kat 600 Totaled, Parting out WHAT DO YOU NEED
                    1983 Suzuki GR650- Sold
                    2006 Suzuki SV1000S- Gone but never forgotten
                    1967 Pontiac Firebird Convertible-The other project 350/4 spd and some stuff

Comment

I just recently got my wife an 06 Kat 600 and the rear tire was "supposed" to be new BUT I've never seen new or recently new tires with the tread indicators almost showing! I got some tires from a friend of mine that he had and are still in great shape and are the same size as the "new" one on the rear 180/55-17 now! I noticed the lable that said it should be 150/70-17 on the rear. I haven't noticed any problems yet but Have only had the bike about 3 weeks now. The front is the stock size 120/70-17.
                      Last edited by Krusher; 02-28-2011, 10:18 AM.
                      sigpic
                      Sometimes life throws you a few curves...lean with it ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Krusher View Post
                        I just recently got my wife an 06 Kat 600 and the rear tire was "supposed" to be new BUT I've never seen new or recently new tires with the tread indicators almost showing! I got some tires from a friend of mine that he had and are still in great shape and are the same size as the "new" one on the rear 180/55-17 now! I noticed the lable that said it should be 150/70-15 on the rear. I haven't noticed any problems yet but Have only had the bike about 3 weeks now. The front is the stock size 120/70-17.

If the rim size as marked on the spokes/rim lip is 4.5... I would not use the 180. It won't explode, of fly off the rim or anything... it will be deformed and pinched in not giving the proper shape and ride feel/grip, and will react differently than what it was designed to do.

You get a better ride with a correctly sized tire on the proper rim.

If your rim is stamped 5.5"... well then have at it, and grats on not having to do the wheel swap mod.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

It's marked 4.5 with a 180/55-17. didn't really think anything about it until I just happen to notice the size on the chain gaurd yesterday. I had an F3 with the same situation, someone had put a 4.5 F2 wheel on it with a 180/55 then I changed it back to a 5.5 F3 wheel with a 180/55. I never had any noticeable problems out of it BUT I never was out trying to drag a knee either. I may change the wheel or either go back to the correct size latter on the Kat. Glad I happened to notice it and found this thread.
                          sigpic
                          Sometimes life throws you a few curves...lean with it ! !

Comment

thanks for all the info guys
                            2004 katana 750

Comment

Working...
                            X