X

Mixing tires?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing tires?

If I get a new rear conti tire would it be ok to leave the factory Michelin on the front or do I need to change it to the same as the back.

A lot of people mix tires so it would seem that your bike isn't going to instantly vanish in a mushroom cloud if you do. OTOH, with just two tires between me and a very bad day, I try not to.

I think the general warnings against doing so may come from back when bias-ply tires were the standard or they may just come from manufacturers who'd like you to buy more tires. Even so, unless you're planning on doing so for just a little while until you can get up the scratch to replace the other one, I wouldn't recommend it and if you do then I'd be very careful in the turns until you get a feel for how well the two tires are going to play with each other.

...how's that for a nice, clear answer?
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I rode all last season with mixed brands
      I reluctantly put a Bridgestone on the front at 5:30pm on a friday night because it was bad and it was the only shop still open
      I have a Conti Road Attack on the rear

I did not notice any ill effects of the mixing
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I rode for a season with my Avon on the back and a Dunlop on the front and I didnt have any issues. Most people dont use the full potental of thier tires so having two different stiffness/stickness's wont affect normal riding.
        Originally posted by arsenic
        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

The problem with different tires is compound and tread. Different compounds warm up at different rates and perform differently at their max op temps.

The tread on the front tire clears a path for the rear tire in rain. Also a problem.

It's at your own risk.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

If it's the stock Macadam, get rid of that damned thing, it's garbage anyway. Not just from being a crap tire, but it's probably as old as the bike, which even if your bike is an 06 it's at least 5 years old, which is pushing the useful service life of a m/c tire.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
            You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Great advice!!!

Comment

Your bike did not come from Suzuki with Michelin tires so that isn't a "factory", as in Suzuki installed, tire.
                If you keep a similar profile, round verses triangular, front and rear you probably wouldn't notice any ill effects.

Comment

My bike was purchased new & it did have michelins.

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
                    Your bike did not come from Suzuki with Michelin tires so that isn't a "factory", as in Suzuki installed, tire.
                    If you keep a similar profile, round verses triangular, front and rear you probably wouldn't notice any ill effects.
                    nearly all of the post 600's came with Michelin Macadams on them...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                      If it's the stock Macadam, get rid of that damned thing, it's garbage anyway. Not just from being a crap tire, but it's probably as old as the bike, which even if your bike is an 06 it's at least 5 years old, which is pushing the useful service life of a m/c tire.
                      +1
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet
                      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

My bad. Was looking at what 750's had and thinking 600's would be the same.

Comment

IMHO dont mix brands the fronts are engineered to clear rain patch for rear to follow at least on street tires!they kinda work together

Comment

Working...
                          X